Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My perfect setup would be to have both a captains box and a captains cooler in my footbay. The box is the easy part but the cooler that would fit in there may be more of a stretch.

Any ideas or pictures of a setup like this?

-andrew

·
Registered
146 Posts
if you have the perfect size captains box, you could just glue some foam on the inside of it and it would bomber, but expensive.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have put a small igloo cooler and 2 med sized rocket boxes in the footwell. But i have a floor to support them.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I run a cooler in my captains bay but my boat is huge so it's easy for me. I fill it with frozen meals and get in it once a day. Or clean cocktail ice depending on the trip.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Nice, very symetrical
Hey, what are the running boards made from? They look pretty nice as well

·
Registered
109 Posts
If my Drybox rail didn't have the extended kickbar for my wife's short legs I think I would have done nice aluminum captain's boxes.
With the kickbar I had to improvise because the space was tight.
A bonus was how inexpensive it was.
I paid less than half the price of one captain's box for this setup.
Have fun upgrading.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I measured the boxes and had Jan over at Stitches 'N Stuff build me slings based off her Rocket box slings to fit the Engel 19's.
ROCKET BOX SLING
Nice. Kuddos for thinking "outside the box." I just love SNS. Jan does great work. I've never cared for hard metal boxes in my rower space, and have always gone with captain's bags instead. Your set-up might make me change my mind. Functional, less expensive, and rounded plastic edges. Plus the SNS slings/drop bags can be moved around and used for other things.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I too was looking for an inexpensive solution to the ammo can captains box dilemma. Always hated the access hassle and in turn can name a hand full of times getting into it in 10+ years on rivers.
Saw the Engel 30 advertised as a dry box/cooler and for $50, I figured why not. But it does not fit an ammo can sling and would end up rigged in the worst places. To make things even more irritating, didn't like how it went through ice. Not hatin, just sayin.
Always on the lookout, I saw a Coleman 3 day extreme personal cooler, virtually the same size as the Engel 30, at Crap-mart for if memory serves maybe $40.
Next move, have Jan make slings to fit the 2 boxes and fit them in my foot bay. Did I mention bomber slings from Jan? High marks for SNS. Nailed it.
Had to roll the foot bar forward slightly, squeezed the Engel 30 captains box and the Coleman 3 day into the space and problem solved, for now
The Coleman still has ice from a Halloween trip, but the Engel is not as dry as I would like or need. Guess I might be hatin after all.
Similar to CoJudds setup, but a bit larger for both units.
Sorry, no pics.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I measured the boxes and had Jan over at Stitches 'N Stuff build me slings based off her Rocket box slings to fit the Engel 19's.
ROCKET BOX SLING
I was down at DRE today and we played with those coolers and their standard rocket box slings and they worked great with the stock ones. I'm interested to hear what mods SNS needed to make to the slings in order to fit the 19q engel drybox/cooler.

·
Registered
109 Posts
There were a few reasons why I went custom.
1. The standard 20mm rocket box slings were too deep for the Engel 19 I felt. I wanted to be able to open the cooler without having to lift it out of the sling.
2. I had the cam straps lengthened because of the large gap between the sling and kickbars rail. It is not flush on my raft. May not be an issue on other rafts without a kickbar.
3. I wanted to choose my color, blue, Go Broncos!
4. Same price as pre made slings.

I am not sure what the pre made rocket box sling dimensions are, but here was what I used:

16" L x 10-1/2" W x 9" D Sling with 2 cam buckles and webbing for frame attachment @ each end and 1 cam buckle centered one side w/strap opposite side, to run over top to secure box - Blue Webbing on Blue Phifertex

·
Registered
658 Posts
On my last boat I used two of the rectangular milk crates- one on either side of my feet. I used two 4' straps to tie it down through the bottom of the crate to the floor lacing. Two Peli 1500s fit perfectly as "lids" for the crates, and wound up being just about flush with the main drybox. The peli cases are strapped down with two criscrossing 6' straps. One peli was major medical, and the other was my personal crap box. In the crates were beverages, and any other randomness that I could fit in them. The one downside is the obvious lack of dryness.

·
Jared
733 Posts
So the Engels aren't exactly "dry" boxes as advertised? Would there be a way to improve the seal? I am thinking I could use them for kitchen items that could either get wet or would be in secondary containers. I like the way they fit, might have to try some.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the Engels aren't exactly "dry" boxes as advertised? Would there be a way to improve the seal? I am thinking I could use them for kitchen items that could either get wet or would be in secondary containers. I like the way they fit, might have to try some.
Why do you say they are not dry as advertised? They are supposedly waterproof to 3' so I would consider that to be pretty darn dry. Is there something that would lead you to believe that these are not dry? They are stated to float and are recommended for electrical equipment, cameras and medical supplies. Now, is it the same as a pelican....I would say no....but I would definitely put them in the dry box category still.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Why do you say they are not dry as advertised? They are supposedly waterproof to 3' so I would consider that to be pretty darn dry. Is there something that would lead you to believe that these are not dry? They are stated to float and are recommended for electrical equipment, cameras and medical supplies. Now, is it the same as a pelican....I would say no....but I would definitely put them in the dry box category still.
Because water goes in the box in class 3-4 whitewater. The seal and lid are very flimsy, but what do you expect for the price? Good for a deso/grey...yes. Good for grand...probably not for anything you want to stay dry.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts