Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I had the opportunity to head over to the Tieton and make a few runs. I brought my aire 130 but had the intention of picking up a demo cat boat from Canyon Whitewater Inflatables.

If you are shopping Legends or any other brand for a playboat all I can say is take a demo in these. Multiple legend owners after chatting with them came to the same agreement , this new 13' shape they have is a notch above on the water, It out surfs, out maneuvers, tracks good and has a way more nimble feel. As far as performance with a load of gear I have no idea yet I ran it with a drybag. This one was a demo and the production has more tip rise in the front although I never came close to needing more. It has a lot more than the picture looks.

I know all the Sotar owners won't believe or it couldn't be, if you have the chance run one don't just turn up your nose try one out, I also ran a legend while I was there just to refresh my mind for comparing. Every Legend owner who took it for a spin was way impressed on the handling. I passed on the demo and ordered up a new one because I didn't wan't all black tubes and wanted to choose my colors, folding towers are a must for me and the demo boats were fixed.

The new aluminum frame of theirs I ran in was 27.3 lbs for all the light weight guys. They will even send you samples of fabric, pvc or urethane with the color seam tape you want welded on so you can preview your color combo's. Hope this helps anyone looking for a cat boat,their frames are art ( I have one on my Aire) and the tubes are looking to be a top contender with the materials that equal some of the others out there.
Corey
Here is a pic of the demo boat I ran and my proposed tube colors.
tieton weekend.jpg
colors.jpg

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Tieton is definately the river I'd choose to test out a new boat design, but I gotta ask, we're some of the local ponds too dry?

·
Banned
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tieton is definately the river I'd choose to test out a new boat design, but I gotta ask, we're some of the local ponds too dry?
No It is half way between my current jobsite and home and they were
having a band Sat night so I went boating instead of driving home for the weekend

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I hope canyon takes more pride in their boats than their web site. Its always been my experience that good boat builders take care of the small details of business too. A simple web site should be the easiest part of their business. Less than the cost of 1 boat! Kinda makes me wonder what else they let slide? or don't have time for.....

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Tell that to Sotar and Maravia. Only boat makers who know anything about web design are aire and Jacks and those are even marginal!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
ive been interested in actually ordering one. I have asked for pics . They have only sent one said they have been so busy they have not had time to take any. Guess they are killing it.

·
Banned
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my comment is pure sarcasm. ust terrible customer service
I think Ptex1 is giving you shit Klickitat because the only posts you have are bashing that company. Let me guess a competitor?

The review is my personal experience and this is gear talk this is my preference for purchase at this point in time. I suggest everyone try different things out look them over and come to your own conclusions of what works for you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Comparing your pic to the pics on their website, it looks like they are making some good improvements to their frame-less bulk in the cargo compartment, straight foot bar in the front. Hard to tell, but it looks like there are still the extra bars on the lateral corners of the footbar, Seems unnecessary. Their adjustments are going the right direction and I like the light weight. I just bought a light weight frame for my little cat, so I am not in the market, but I am always looking.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wrong.

"I think Ptex1 is giving you shit Klickitat because the only posts you have are bashing that company. Let me guess a competitor?"

First, I don't think Ptex1is giving me shit. He's giving CWI shit. Second, I'm not a competitor, just a boater who likes to hear real reports on stuff I haven't tried. I've never bashed CWI, unless the weird fake posters here are the company. I guy I know bought a CWI box, and says it's great. I saw some other folks who bought an aluminum raft trailer from CWI that looked incredible.

However admin on this site, and others, have caught folks posting fake crap on behalf of Canyon Whitewater Inflatables. Same pattern: join the site, and start to bash the competition, in a cheesy juvenile way, and talk up Canyon Whitewater Inflatables. You fit right in. Happened to join the side in May, right after they closed down two other fake pseudonyms. Hmmm. Bashed Sotar, RMI, cooler importers and I don't know who else.

Moreover, your description of the differences in boat performance based on your Tieton test drive just shows that you are full of shit. The actual performance distinctions between similar-sized cats are pretty subtle, and aren't going to show up on a Tieton trip. It's a pointed tube filled with air. Any 13 or 14 foot pvc or urethane cat will be quick and nimble. I've owned Aire and Sotar cats. They have pluses and minuses. I'm not a boat snob, my first raft was a Udisco bucket boat, and I ran a 1977 Campways bucket boat for a couple of decades

Whose Legend did you borrow last weekend on the Tieton? Give me a name, either here publicly or in a PM. Who tried out your CWI? If they are real folks, chances are I'll know them. I'd love to hear what they say.

·
Banned
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pm on the way, I can send you my phone number, that wasn't my boat if you read above it was there for people to demo, I was going to buy it but didn't want black. And by the way I have told them to join up here and advertise and they don't have any interest in internet forums.

And the fast moving water was a perfect place to try out different boats and how well they maneuvered as I have tried one out maybe you should and give us a review after you have actually seen it.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Pm on the way, I can send you my phone number, that wasn't my boat if you read above it was there for people to demo, I was going to buy it but didn't want black. And by the way I have told them to join up here and advertise and they don't have any interest in internet forums.

And the fast moving water was a perfect place to try out different boats and how well they maneuvered as I have tried one out maybe you should and give us a review after you have actually seen it.
I've been down the tieton twice during the "flip flop". Second time was cause I couldn't believe it could be such a yawn fest the first time.

If you wanna test a boat out that river is the last place I would take anything. Try the farmlands section of the white salmon or the wind river (you know, where the Sotards float). Or you want adrenaline try Lyle Gorge on the klickitat

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Comparing your pic to the pics on their website, it looks like they are making some good improvements to their frame-less bulk in the cargo compartment, straight foot bar in the front. Hard to tell, but it looks like there are still the extra bars on the lateral corners of the footbar, Seems unnecessary. Their adjustments are going the right direction and I like the light weight. I just bought a light weight frame for my little cat, so I am not in the market, but I am always looking.
Curious what you bought and what it weighed?

By orto 11: "The new aluminum frame of theirs I ran in was 27.3 lbs for all the light weight guys".
Does 27.3 pounds include seat and/or oar towers?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Several friends have CWI dry boxes. They are well made.

Also I've seen one of their earlier frames and it appeared well made too. If they continue to innovate making their frames lighter, this uses less aluminum so in theory better for the environment, unless they make them so light that they can't support a rower.

Not sure what to think of them making tubes as being a solid aluminum welder doesn't necessarily make you a solid plastics welder

I don't care for people who bash a quality product they have never owned. Sotar designs are proven, high quality, performance, etc.

Lets hope these canyon boats are what Orto says they are. And for that matter Orto is who he says he is. I'd hate to have someone gamble their hard earned boat money on a new product that was sold based on lies and innuendo

·
Banned
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Does 27.3 pounds include seat and/or oar towers?
That is bare with no locks or seat they said.

@ Avatard -I am not sure where the bashing comes in, I have never heard them bash anyone. They sell Aire and build a ton of frames on sotar boats and can even get those I think. I think most of this festers in peoples mind on the internet. I think the boat makers probably all know each other.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Frames & Gear yes...rubber not so much

I bought a frame from Ronnie McClay, who made it to my specs. My frame only contains the rowing compartment, no cargo area. It weighs 32 lbs. When I hit overnighters, I will need to figure out a cargo module. You can contact Ronnie through Ted Day/Payette River Equipment.

Gotta say, my interest in canyon inflatables is not with the boats. I will stick with my Sotar. Their CI Vortex has little, if any, kick to the tube, but they are about as close to a Legend as you can come...without infringing on proprietary(?) specs. I am sure the vortex is a great boat, but I doubt many Legend owners are converting.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts