Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for anyone who has a canoe play boat and has done clear creek. I 'd like to run rigor mortis and would like someone who has experience there to run with. I was also looking for some weekday warriors, because i work weekends.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats awesome! im looking to do the play park wed or thurs for practice. are you in the rmcc as well?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've have run most of the Colorado with the exception of the Shoshone run....Delores, six mile gap and the Golden play park many times...Im running a Bell Prodigy...

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
i've have run most of the Colorado with the exception of the Shoshone run....Delores, six mile gap and the Golden play park many times...Im running a Bell Prodigy...
Gore Canyon and Barrel Springs are pretty impressive for a canoe!

·
Registered
614 Posts
You should get to know Dennis at Golden River Sports. There's a big difference between what you have done and what you want to do. There are a lot of more difficult stretches you could do before open boating Rigor Mortis. Most canoeists have gone shorter than 12' for difficult whitewater.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for that advice. I have been running 3's for a few years now in an 11 foot boat. I feel ready to try and improve my skills and experiences with other open boaters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Absolutly!.. I have run the Ark from Salida to Wellsville bridge...The Filter plant run and also Deckers thru the chutes with a dry boat.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Yeah, you're aware Rigor Mortis is a class V rapid, right? Because it sounds like you're interested in skipping class IV altogether, unless you're leaving out significant portions of your river resume. I'd submit that it's not a good approach.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rigor mortis

No..not interested in skipping iv..just trying to do some homework...im ambitious ...but not a fool....

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'd say run lower clear creek a few times if you haven't yet. See how that feels, then step it up to the next section. Its a lot more fun than just running the play park too

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was having that train of thought..I have walked it from tunnel 1 and would start there first. i'm sure it gets more difficult after that..

·
Registered
579 Posts
i agree with every one else.

hit lower CC Multiple times, run foxton, hell do waterton, play on the poudre...

rigor is a huge jump up

after you style stevens down including pine view at solid flows, after you can run lower CC in your sleep, then look at running rigor.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey Prodgy

Like to add my 2 cents

Welcome to front range boating !

In my experience open boat c1 is kinda rare here at least compared to the southeast. ....cool to have different types of boats on the river !

Here is some more c,c. Beta for you.

All of Clear Creek above tunnel 1 is very unfrendly to swimmers...The river is full of sharp blasted rocks ! Being a humble member of the clear creek swim team, I have learned this the hard way. I now wear lower body armour under my dry suit.

Clear Creek is VERY COLD, when it gets going....that water was snow likly only hours before you got on it. You can expect low 40s and high 30s durring high water.

I would suggest that you consider learning clear creek in the following order.....tunnel 1 to town park....then move up river do the run through Idaho Springs (Chicago Creek to Kermits).

Foxton is very senic, and the rocks are not all blasted there. I suggest you try it.

If all that goes well...move over to the ark, and try browns....

Then come back to clear creek and try running below rigor, to the dam.

Enjoy learning colorado waters.

paddle on

scott

1 - 20 of 29 Posts