Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
see other thread. I hit the post new thread button, had dinner and came back to an error message saying to hit the reload page button, and voila, posted again. Sorry. how do i delete this thread?

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Might be too late to delete after dinner. You can edit a post for only 15-30? min after first posting.

Edit: I think you may have deleted the other thread. This appears to be your only recent new thread.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding MT4Runner, I assumed that somehow this was the thread that vanished. I didn't delete the other thread, I couldn't figure out how to delete this thread, and now I have to remember what I wrote. I blame river trip hangover...

Anyway, I need a solution to keep a river dog with zero body fat warm on the boat. He's fine until he gets splashed, but once he is wet he starts getting cold. I have a Ruffwear pfd that I really like, but it doesn't keep him warm. The only thread I could find here was from 2004 and pointed to the camo neoprene vests for duck hunting dogs. I was headed this direction on my own, but thought I would throw the question out here first.

What do you guys do to keep your buddies warm in the boat? Has anyone used doggie rain gear as splash jackets under the pfd? Does anyone have experience with doggiewetsuits.com? Any other creative solutions out there?

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I’d probably also recommend the bird hunting camo wetsuit as well.

Rain gear doesn’t add any insulation if the dog doesn’t already have it!!

Also feed your pup more on river days...calories = warmth

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
526 Posts
Neoprene best and EX Dog for CFD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bumping this thread again for input! We have a 1.5 year old border collie mutt - she is a meatball with no body fat at the moment. We just did a post permit Rogue, and even with the warmer temps, getting splashed and then ending up in the shaded canyons I could tell she was chilly at times.

Any neoprene jacket/vest recommendations? Or other options?

I was looking for a thinner neoprene design with minimal handles/low profile zipper so her ruffwear PFD would fit over it nicely. I am also curious about doggiewetsuits.com - seems like a great low profile design for rafting with a PFD, but is the most expensive option compared to the hunting off the shelf vests so i am hesitant to buy.

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
526 Posts
We use neoprene hunting dog vests under their PFD’s for cold trips.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We use neoprene hunting dog vests under their PFD’s for cold trips.
Do you mind telling me which brand(s) you have that work well? Most of the vests I have found have poor quality reviews (but I would suspect the hunting activities would be way harder on them then rafting, especially under a PFD).

526 Posts
Reactions: paddally

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've used Avery neoprene dog vests on my hunting labs for years. Mine zip on top, then have a velcro closure over the zipper. You can put your hand under the neoprene while they're wearing them and easily see how much warmth it helps them retain. We've hunted in extremely cold conditions with no issues. Of course labs have double coats and aren't especially susceptible to cold temps. I do have friends who use them on their German shorthairs with similar results. They also provide some floatation as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts