Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had success getting a cancellation for an Idaho river this season? I am seeing nothing so far and expect it to continue because of deferred permits from last year. Was hoping for a main trip with the kids but looks like it's not going to happen this year.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I fully expect there will be cancellations like in past years, they will just be at the last minute, those with flexible schedules will continue to take advantage of. That’s my plan anyway. Fingers crossed.

Demands for the canceled permits are increasing just as the initial lotteries. There were lots of unclaimed permits for the four rivers, but within 10 sec of 8am on March 6th, they were all gone. ☹

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
163 Posts
I fully expect there will be cancellations like in past years, they will just be at the last minute, those with flexible schedules will continue to take advantage of. That’s my plan anyway. Fingers crossed.
We have the same plan!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
you could launch on the main salmon with the other 57 groups that have a permit for June 19th LOL. usually June 19th is overbooked to say the least but this year its ridiculous. 42 of 99 permits remaining for that day. I'm not sure why they don't cut the pre and post permit numbers back a touch. the saterday before there are zero launches booked. What are people thinking?

·
Registered
184 Posts
How does the Main pre season assign camps and number of days? Looking to do a pre main to lower trip, but want to slow it down as much as possible to allow water to drop for the Lower (slide).

·
Registered
90 Posts
How does the Main pre season assign camps and number of days? Looking to do a pre main to lower trip, but want to slow it down as much as possible to allow water to drop for the Lower (slide).
Camps pre and post lottery period are first come. There will be plenty of camp competition June 20-25. Doesn’t even sound fun.

Max trip length outside lottery period is 10 days. If you launch prior to the June 20th but go slow, you could camp at a camp that may be reserved for faster trips launching on the 20th.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks for the info. Is there a list of which camps get reservations?

Also if it is a 6/19 clusters**k, is it better to launch at the take out for the MFS?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

Also if it is a 6/19 clusters**k, is it better to launch at the take out for the MFS?
you have middle fork trips taking off.. so still a cluster.. if all those groups launch as planned you would need to launch from way up river to not be a nightmare.. you could not pay me enough to be a part of that.. Living so close it may be worth a drive to go watch the cluster.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sounds like they might be assigning camps on the Main starting June 15th this year due to the increase in interest.

·
Registered
90 Posts

For all info main Salmon Salmon-Challis National Forest - Water Activities

Cache Cr (takeout for the MF) there will be six groups taking off a day, extremely busy. The river rangers do not recommend launching there. It would not be a good interaction if your loading/launching is holding groups from taking out.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
better options would be Cove creek "take out for day stretch" and paved, Spring creek "put in for day stretch" paved but will be busy weekends, Indianola would be nice and quiet not paved, or deadwater paved. at spring flows most of these are doable in a day or half day. any of these except cove will add our day stretch which is a hoot in the spring. Sorry for the unintentional hijack but yeah no cancelations even for hells. I have seen a few mid may middle forks pop up for a few minutes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As in past years, most cancellations will be as the deadline to do so comes up. Most folks won't give up on a trip until they absolutely have to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts