Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to preface my statements by pointing out my intentions - this is not to benefit the economy of my home Province & Country - British Columbia, Canada necessarily (although it doesn't hurt?). More just to highlight an area you may have never rafted before with some new water out there for you to try & experience. Anyways....

The Canadian dollar absolutely sucks right now. In 2013 and for several years prior, the American & Canadian dollar were nearly at par give or take. The past year and a half the Canadian dollar has tanked slowly but surely. So right now the Canadian dollar is at 0.72. That means every $1 USD equals $1.38 Canadian roughly. Predictions are 2016 the dollar descrepency will stay at this level or get even worse apparently (which doesn't bode well for my upcoming Cataraft purchase in American dollars LOL). Anyways - hotels, campsite fees, gas, food - your dollar will go further in Canada more than likely. If you've been pondering a river trip or two up here, now is a good time. Just make sure you get some health insurance for if sh*t hits the fan.

If you want any info I'll do my best to help you with what I know/have heard as far as resources go and who I can put you in touch with. Obviously there are many others in here who have been up here or live here as well who will hopefully offer input.

You don't need no stinking permits either, last I checked.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't trust Canadians They always act so nice....... It has to be a scam.

And it is a fact....... You do have 90 percent of your population massed on 10 percent of your land. Right along the worlds longest unprotected border.

·
Registered
168 Posts
And it is a fact....... You do have 90 percent of your population massed on 10 percent of your land. Right along the worlds longest unprotected border.

It's even worse than you think: 72% of Canada's population lives SOUTH of Blaine, Washington. No joke. Look it up. (Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa all lie South of Seattle's latitude.)

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Thanks for the invite.
The video's I've seen of Canadian rivers look preaty darn cool so far.
If such a large chunk of this country were as wet as some of Canada, we would be living on about 10% of our land to(or more likely would have filled, damned, and F'd it up). Also means that the other 90% is preaty clear of the scourge of humanity( excessive volumes of people).
Hope to come visit ya and do some boating up there some time.

·
1,901 Posts
Now that's just F'ing funny K2!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have taken two sea kayak camping trips in the Broken Islands up there and can highly recommend it. You can camp on the beach and explore the islands on foot or paddle around for fun day trips. We saw lots of cool wildlife (whales, seals, eagles, mink, deer) and interesting sea creatures like starfish and urchins. There is a small fee to camp but they provide a well maintained composting outhouse on each camping island. If it is in your budget spend a few days in Vancouver, it's a beautiful city with really good food. Last time the exchange rate was this good I also bought several dry bags to bring back home. We rented our sea kayaks and that was a bargain too. I would definitely do this trip again.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't forget to bring your dog sled license!!!!

All kidding aside it gets pretty warm in much of the BC interior in the summer. We don't all live in Igloos.

·
1,901 Posts
A good read I found on far north adventures in Canada is threading the currents( forget name of author), mostly a canoeist , good writer, some wild paddling trips up there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for Beta on some Canadian multi day rafting trips. Given the current exchange rate doing more complicated logistics might not be so bad. The Babine or Chilko/Fraser rivers sound interesting?
Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Guidebook?

Just curious if you can recommend a good guidebook. Looking for trips in the interior or Kootenays, mainly cats or R2. I just took advantage of an Avy 1 class at Whitewater that was half the price if I took it in the states. Not to mention a fun weekend in Nelson as well. Thanks for letting us across the border.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Just be aware that they will charge you for any search and rescue if you need it. Might want to get trip insurance. Can't remember if a fishing license covered that?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking for Beta on some Canadian multi day rafting trips. Given the current exchange rate doing more complicated logistics might not be so bad. The Babine or Chilko/Fraser rivers sound interesting?
Thanks
Never done either - on the list as I'm sure they are on yours - but have done some research/asking around about them. What I can tell you/what I've heard:

Babine - has a fair amount of Grizzly Bears - fairly high density for them apparently. There is even a rapid called Grizzly drop where it is common to see Grizzlies fishing for Salmon. River is quite remote once you get away from the put in which is at the outlet of Babine lake so take necessary precautions. Starts with some class 1-2. Ramps up to Class 3-4 apparently as you get into some canyon water drops later on. Many do this trip in 5-7 days and include a portion of it on the Skeena. There is a company called Aquabatics in Smithers, BC (http://smithers.aquabatics.com) that is the local whitewater outfitter in the area who may provide help with Shuttles (would be a pretty long shuttle) and may give you more specific detailed info. May be difficult to time this river run with fall rains and/or early winter weather some years. A few vids on Youtube by some commercial raft outfitters - Glacier raft is one that has some good vids. I searched "Babine River Rafting" on YouTube and there was some good vids to be found. Note the Babine is a world class famous Steelhead fishing destination. If you go do this trip and don't do some fishing I'd be surprised (assuming you fish?). Having said that keep in mind the regulations on this river are quite strict surrounding steelhead fishing - Keep that in mind. If you want more info on this, as I steelhead fish, let me know. I've read a few stories of some of the guides at some of the Steelhead lodges on this river have been known to have a "beef" with guys who invade the area to fish by raft. Not all bad apples, just keep that in mind. If you're looking for reasonable backroads map books of the area, buy the Northern BC Backroads Mapbook: Northern BC Backcountry Maps

Chilko - check out the Chilko thread posted recently for some info & vids: http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f43/chilko-chilkotin-fraser-river-59349.html
There is also a Cariboo-Chilcotin Backroads Mapbook from the same company as above: Cariboo Chilcotin Coast BC Backcountry Maps

Another one of note is the Nass - looks like a fun trip and not too far from the Babine in the grand scheme of things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGA2kiladOU

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just curious if you can recommend a good guidebook. Looking for trips in the interior or Kootenays, mainly cats or R2. I just took advantage of an Avy 1 class at Whitewater that was half the price if I took it in the states. Not to mention a fun weekend in Nelson as well. Thanks for letting us across the border.
A few books I would suggest (I have all of these as well):

If you want info on the Thompson River, Bernie Fandrich's book The Majestic Thompson River is the authority on the Thompson River. He posts detailed info on the Thompson's rapids on a km by km basis. Info on Put-ins, & take out-'s as well. https://kumsheen.com/majestic/

Claudia Schwaubs book "Whitewater in Southwestern BC" (2007) is about as good as it gets for many coastal and interior runs in BC. Aimed at kayakers but a good whitewater guidebook nonetheless. Note on this website it talks about the book as well as there are updates (click the tab) to some of the stuff in the book on this website as well as changes have occurred : Wetcoast Publishing - Whitewater in Southwest BC

An oldie but a goodie - For the Kootenays Betty Pratt Johnson's book is pretty good, as well as she has a host of other guidebooks for BC and other areas that you can also find used: Robot Check - I actually know a guy who used to Kayak with Betty in the 80's through many first descents that helped spur they info that she put in many of her guide books.

Another trip that I've been itching to do is the East Kootenay river launching somewhere in or near Kootenay National park and taking out somewhere downstream. Supposedly very scenic & beautiful. Very popular with the Canoe crowd/clubs for multi days - Generally Class 1-2 with a few Class 3's. Some decent fishing at times apparently. https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/library/documents/bib46523.pdf
Also some video on Youtube of some of the rapids that you can search for.

I've heard the White River, a tributary of the East Kootenays is supposedly really beautiful (detailed in Betty's book). Glacier Raft does commercial trips down it and it's apparently got some fairly continuous Class 2-3 rapids with the odd 4, depending on level. You can apparently do a long day trip or a 2-3 day trip depending on put-in/take outs you choose. There are 2 main sections apparently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llpwbjz_L8M

For the Class 4-4+ crowd the Kicking Horse river near Golden is apparently pretty fun (covered in Betty's book). But that's not a river to take lightly. I'd probably do a 1 day commercial raft trip on that river to scope it out with one of the local outfitters before running it if I couldn't find someone who knows the river to show me, but would probably be fun for a higher class water cat boater/R2 team.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-0l2QJLQ7Q

I just want to add - consider going a little further north too - the Clearwater River a couple hours north of Kamloops has some good whitewater.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts