Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a good deal on a Pelican 65qt cooler on the line, but it looks like the latches would interfere with the frame rails that I'd like it to rest on. From pictures, it looks like if you could flip them, that they'd be flush with the bottom of the lip which could then rest on the rails.

Anybody own a Pelican cooler and know if you can flip the latches or otherwise modify them so the cooler lip can rest on the raft frame rail?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Call pelican. They are very responsive

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got ahold of Pelican. No help there. Ideas? I'd also be open to changing to butterfly latches, if the material could handle new screws.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Have you taken them off and tried it? From the photo the screw holes look to be on similar spacing. If the coupled latch doesn't match the vertical allignment it's probably fine, as long as it latches.

It looks llike there are 4 screws on bottom and two on top, if that's the case just try to get two into the old holes on each half and see how it works. I'd guess Pelican told you drilling new holes would void their outstanding warranty... If it works and you're OK with whatever they said then simply drill new holes where needed. Most materials need 1.5Xdiameter of hole between holes or to edges or you could plug old holes with epoxy, rivots, etc. if that helps you decision.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Might add some Gorilla Glue to the screws- it expands quite a bit when it dries.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Sorry didn't read the whole post, you don't own it yet... Sportsmans Warehouse here has them, as does costco. Maybe a view in person would help...

I'm sure you could do it but, the question is how easy will it be. Here's an idea... just popped into my head.... you could def do butterfly latches by making small aluminum plates to repace the existing latches, then rivot the butterfly latches to the plates wherever they work best. I know that would work and in a warranty issue, simply reinstall old latches...

Edit...
You'd make the plates to match the existing hole pattern if that isn't clear. Sorry, my mind is a blurr with concepts.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Thanks, you can thank my employer - to much GIS this week, brain fried, need to think about river...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Great idea!
Not sure if you checked the swap, but I have a brand new 65Q NRS Big Sky cooler that I bought, but then decided to go bigger on. I've never used it and am willing to give a really good deal on it. It has butterfly latches on it already and would not interfere with your frame. Check it out and let me know if you have any interest.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if you checked the swap, but I have a brand new 65Q NRS Big Sky cooler that I bought, but then decided to go bigger on. I've never used it and am willing to give a really good deal on it. It has butterfly latches on it already and would not interfere with your frame. Check it out and let me know if you have any interest.
Send me a PM with how much you are looking for the NRS...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Going on a quick glance, I think you could flip them. I have the 95 qt. version. Although it is difficult to see in that picture there is 4 bolts in both the top and bottom. They appear to be the same bolt pattern. Whether both of them are mounted the same distance from the lip is another consideration though.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Does this help? Looks like if you flip it it will probably interfere with the frame crossbar. Look at the open latch position and imagine in the opposite position.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts