Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, maybe a bit (or a lot) excessive, but it's worth asking for those willing to tempt the fates of winter in the ditch. Thoughts.
Joe

·
Registered
157 Posts
considering the grand is so popular and its a national park, im sure Leave No Trace principles DO NOT apply. Sure, bring it, fire it up and rip down every Mother F'N tree down there!!!!! YEEEEE HAWWWWW
That thing has a Hemi!!!!!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Can I bring my HUGE chainsaw on the grand?
Why not? Maybe you could lash it to your ATV that doubles as a 100KW generator, that way your disco balls will spin at the right speed during your dance contests....... just because you CAN have fires doesn't mean you're supposed to deforest the canyon. Do HUGE chainsaws serve the same purpose as HUGE pickup trucks???? ;)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha, great responses. So what I'm hearing is that four strokes are allowed.... The point is not to cut down trees, but make drift wood manageable for a fire pan. I'd like some opinions from people who've actually been there or know something about the Grand scene.
Joe

Matty, you're definitely invited if you want on. Putin is Dec 27.

·
Registered
76 Posts
A small folding hand saw is all I brought last January. I landed another launch this January 12 and I am going to bring one big dry bag of split Juniper from home to help with those camps when it is pouring down rain and the camp is scarce of good wood. I own a dozen chainsaws but even if it were legal to bring one down in the winter, it wouldn't be necessary. Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Four strokes are permitted during motor season and if you're part of the Grand Canyon Research & Monitoring (?) Club. Otherwise I'd have to say you're out of luck. I know that in Canyonlands NP, where motors are allowed year round, only members of The NPS Club are allowed to tote chainsaws.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Dura Flame

Bring a Dura Flame log for every night. Definitely worth it as they burn for 3+ hours and don't make bad fumes, especially in an open fire pan. Essentially they are made of sawdust pressed together with wax (I think). A whole trip's worth will fit into a big dry bag.

As of September, there was a ton of driftwood at the South Canyon camp. I think it is South, the one right above Vasey's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bring a Dura Flame log for every night. Definitely worth it as they burn for 3+ hours and don't make bad fumes, especially in an open fire pan. Essentially they are made of sawdust pressed together with wax (I think). A whole trip's worth will fit into a big dry bag.

As of September, there was a ton of driftwood at the South Canyon camp. I think it is South, the one right above Vasey's.

Strangely enough i have to agree.... Whenever i go camping in the desert and want a fire i always bring the Dura-logs. They are good for heat but I’m still not sure about cooking over them. But they sure beat the hours of collecting tamarisks for 10 minutes of fire...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good call on the Dura-logs. I have used these to get a fire cranked up when it is raining and I agree on the hesitation of cooking over it. I'm just not sure what is in those things!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I believe that since winter is a non-motor season you can't even bring a 4 stroke motor with you unless it stays stowed until below separation canyon river mile ~ 240. I think this applies to all motors, but I am not sure - generators are allowed for inflating boats, but not for anything else. You should post the is question over at the GCPBA yahoo group list. RRFW opposes all motors in the canyon, but their Yahoo group and website are also a good source of information.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A small folding hand saw is all I brought last January. I landed another launch this January 12 and I am going to bring one big dry bag of split Juniper from home to help with those camps when it is pouring down rain and the camp is scarce of good wood. I own a dozen chainsaws but even if it were legal to bring one down in the winter, it wouldn't be necessary. Enjoy your trip!
you have any good advice for anything special to bring that time of yr. this will be my first winter trip in the grand this yr. launch jan 17th, solar power for a camera or ipod? big ass army tent? ok I got the bow saw thats great to know about and to bring a little wood huh... will you leave some wood behind for my trip:)........ I have a great lead on a 12'x14' tent for rental w/ stove I thaught this would be good for crappy weather when cooking and a place for everyone to hang out in if its absolutly horrible, my only deciding factor is enough space in the rafts.. and room for it at camps. also there is one person still without a dry suit do you know of any rental places in Flagg. thanks

1 - 20 of 45 Posts