Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
OC-1 disciple
66 Posts
Okay, related to this question. More on the anchoring and tie downs, what’s y’all’s solution to good reliable, easily storable, and effective tie/guy/anchor systems for said shade structure?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Okay, related to this question. More on the anchoring and tie downs, what’s y’all’s solution to good reliable, easily storable, and effective tie/guy/anchor systems for said shade structure?
Either 1) tie up to full H2O jugs or 2) I bring my ammo can full of these bad larrys: Military issue Tent Stake 9" , 4 Pack

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I was thinking like good beefy deadman like anchors
For sand anchors have good success with drift wood or rock or raft paddle buried as a T in deadman fashion + soaking water on top if available. People say snow stakes work well in sand. Also thought about carrying a few stuff sacks or small used dry bags to fill with sand and also bury as an option.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I use aluminum snow pegs for tents. For my outfitter tarp I use home made raft sand stakes. Look online and you can buy aluminum bar stock that you can cut with a chop saw. When I made mine pretty cheap with current situation hard to find a cheap price.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Bruh, until you have no water. Start with 8 scepters, end with say 2-3, those 2-3 ain’t gonna be holding down the tarp, and I ain’t defiling my clean jugs with river water…
Rinse them out after your trip or before you refill them. What, are you going to get... cooodies? I have filled many empty water jugs with river water when I have been running bigger water with a light boat. Add a little bleach if you are that worried about it.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
If you need a dead man just find a three foot long piece of wood forearm size ( or a 30 pound ish rock ) dig a ditch perpendicular to the load, wrap your rope/strap around the object and bury it. Deeper the better. Wetting down the sand will help. Truckers hitch or cam strap for tensioning. Simple but effective.

·
Registered
992 Posts
If you need a dead man just find a three foot long piece of wood forearm size ( or a 30 pound ish rock ) dig a ditch perpendicular to the load, wrap your rope/strap around the object and bury it. Deeper the better. Wetting down the sand will help. Truckers hitch or cam strap for tensioning. Simple but effective.
The best thing about that method is that you don't have to dig them up either when your done if you don't tie off to the dead man. ;)

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
on one grand canyon trip me and a bud each did a dead man to tie down our rafts

we were on a really big sand bar beach and the camp spots were some distance up the hill.

we found a couple decent sized driftwood logs and started digging away, we both had US Army surplus entrenching shovels which made it easier but still took a lot of time away from cocktail duty.

we made great secure boat tie downs for sure.

But to dig multiple holes (what ever required for a tarp) would have been a ton of work. For a tarp I would rather carry extra sand stakes.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts