Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
The oar in the middle makes it looks like it might just be the rain fly from a tent although I don't see any zippers anywhere. Even if that's not what it is you might try busting yours out and seeing if you could make it work in a similar fashion. Hell I might do the same, never though of that....

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I can't get any further, but this article has an image of the same rainfly.

Link

View attachment 82106
It took me a little to find it with some Google Lens wizardry... but that logo on the side says "Chlorophylle" and a quick search finds that, while they don't make it in that color anymore they do make that tarp... La caverne tarp

I think it is a similar design but not the same tarp that the OP saw on the Main. I can't make out the logo on that one though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It took me a little to find it with some Google Lens wizardry... but that logo on the side says "Chlorophylle" and a quick search finds that, while they don't make it in that color anymore they do make that tarp... La caverne tarp

I think it is a similar design but not the same tarp that the OP saw on the Main. I can't make out the logo on that one though.
That ain't cheap!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'll bet you could do the same with the canvas top from a 10x10 e-z up. The metal structures are the weak point on those and they often end up in the junk pile with perfectly good top material. Strip off the top (as the sunbather has) and give it a try!
Agree, the Chlorophylle EM found looks a lot like my mega-mid from black diamond. Might have to dig it out and test it out in tarp mode I never thought of…

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
The Megamid has much steeper walls then these tarps.

I'm definitely saying that you should go get one of the Chlorophylle ones....I just found the one that most resembled the one in the original picture.

It feels like you could probably do that with Noah's tarp or any of the other non-caternary cut tarps. I've definitely stuck an oar under a caternary cut one to make a peak before as well.

I kinda like the idea of doing this with an EZ up cover. You can definitely buy replacement covers without the frame for those. 10x10 isn't huge though and may only provide shelter for a few people.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I took a gamble on the 12'x24' one of these a few years back: Tan Canvas Tarps | Polyester Canvas Tarps | Mytee Products

I love it. You can set it up a-frame style and have enough room for a plain kitchen, doesn't take up any more room than a bills bag. Doesn't cost as much as any of that frilly stuff, and seems to me like it'll last longer than me.

·
Registered
640 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
TonyMancuso wrote about using the brown 'duck type' canvas tarp as a shade tarp.

I have not done this as I still have two of the old Moss tarps that refuse to die no matter how many times I use them on multidays.

On the other hand.

I have purchased big time high dollar canoe covers that only lasted me a year here in OK where winters have horizontal wind blown ice storms (not snow ice pellets), wind storms you would not believe and summer heat hits actual 100 degrees F weeks in a row, not worth the money. I have used the 'blue' el cheapo tarps as covers for boats and my raft trailer covers and these things may last a few months but tear and fall apart.

The only tarps I have found that last more than one year (winter and summer) are these heavy duty brown duck cloth tarps. Primary water resistant but let air in and over time a bit of water. Meaning for sure these brown tarps (we have a couple of cheaper tool stores here in Tulsa, where I buy them) but readily available on line. For me these tarps are too heavy for multi days but for sure the most bomb proof tarps for covering rafts, wood box, raft trailers you name it. And, the price is usually pretty good.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm intrigued. Did you waterproof it?
I haven't needed to, but I live in a place w/ less than 9" rain a year. It's permeable and wicking at the same time, if that makes sense. As a shade/rain wing it's always done a good enough job, as a wintertime raft cover I use disposable painters drop cloth underneath, with a 2"x4" frame to make sure moisture doesn't leak through.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That is the "tried and true" Chlorophylle La Caverne tarp 15' x15'. They were at one point hard to find and are made by a company in Quebec, now selling them again in two sizes. They have been a staple of northern canoe trips for decades. In fact, I have one that is 3 decades old and still going strong. The are waterproof, very easy to set up, durable and stable in wind. Originally designed for canoe party's setting up above treeline, they only require a center pole and 4 guy lines and can be setup in multiple ways. Highly recommend! And do the $$ conversion to USD from CDN and you'll find they are reasonable given the quality although prices have definitely gone up since I purchased my second one a couple years ago.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts