Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

i just bought w whitewater kayak. it is a 2007 jackson megarocker. it is the largest boat in the rocker series. there are different sizes for people with different weights, the mega rocker is made for people who weigh around or over 200 pounds. i weigh about 140 pounds. is this a problem? the owner of the store i bought it form said it is fine, but i think the boat is too big. every kayaker i have seen has a boat that seems to fit their body size. i want to get a slightly smaller boat that is a similar style. i tried the boat out some rapids and it is very stable and hard to tip over but it seemed like it was kind of hard to steer and make quick movements. also, i found a website that says the minimum weight for the boat is 200 pounds.

Jackson Kayak Mega-Rocker

thank you for your answers

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Yes, a boat can be too big for efficient navigation of whitewater.....and it sounds like you found one. Paddling a boat with too much volume is similar to trying to take a school bus down a 4wd road. It will feel sluggish and slow to react, difficult to keep on track and tough to roll once you flip.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I own and paddle a Mega Rocker

But I weigh in at 200 pounds then add a bunch of creeking gear. When I got the boat I weighed around 230. (weight loss for medical condition type 2 Diabetes diagnosis)

At 140 pounds, my bet is this boat will float way high and bounce around a lot for you. Probably hard to control and go where you want to go.

At my weight, this is a good creek boat for me. For you, my bet is you will not be a happy boater.

Find yourself a used Jackson Hero after selling that Mega Rocker to a much larger boater.

And, post on the Buzz for feedback before you buy anything else from that vendor!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
At 260 that boat was right for me at the 220 I weigh now I much prefer the rocker and at 140 I don't think it would respond at all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree with everyone else... It would be a ok boat for your first time to see if you wanted to kayak because it would be more stable and ride higher on something easy if you were borrowing it.. But not to own,roll,or actually become a whitewater paddler..

·
Registered
217 Posts
that boat is huge, way too big for you too be happy with, 90 gallons of volume is a lot of boat. I still have my Micro 250 and that was a big boat at 78 gallons but was perfect for anyone over 200 lbs. I'd look for something smaller, you'd be much happier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone, now i am positive that i need a new boat. i will be able to return it so its not a big problem. the owner of the store really seems to believe the boat will be fine, but i have heard more people say that a smaller boat will be better and it makes sense. why else would kayak companies make different size then? if anyone has anything else to add please do

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I would buy it off you but i have this fear of death. You kayakers are crazy mofos!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I work for a outfitter out east and I would think twice about buying another boat from that company..
Unless you are 6foot and 200 pounds there never needs to be super in front of any name boat you buy from Jackson ...
You are going to be a medium in almost every boat you look at even other brands...and small in a few..
The only reason you would need a boat that big if your 6foot 4 and 140 pounds.... Just for foot room totally..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I work for a outfitter out east and I would think twice about buying another boat from that company..
Unless you are 6foot and 200 pounds there never needs to be super in front of any name boat you buy from Jackson ...
You are going to be a medium in almost every boat you look at even other brands...and small in a few..
The only reason you would need a boat that big if your 6foot 4 and 140 pounds.... Just for foot room totally..
i forgot to mention that i am about 6'1" but i dont need to use the full length of the boat to sit comfortably

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a friend who's wife is 6,4 and she only uses a med size boat.... That would be the only reason to go bigger if you just can't fit comfortably in a boat....
Only thing you may need for sure is a longer paddle depending on if your height is waist up or down... My friend who is 6,4 paddles a 200cm paddle ..your a 197 for sure..

·
Registered
214 Posts
A Diesel 65 would also be a great choice. That's the older model - I think your weight is between the (newer) Diesel 60 and 70 - I'd go for the 60 if I had to choose between them. As already mentioned, Remix, RPM - lots of good choice out there. Lots of bad choices, too, so consult someone with a bit of experience that you trust.

·
Registered
48 Posts
thanks everyone, now i am positive that i need a new boat. i will be able to return it so its not a big problem. the owner of the store really seems to believe the boat will be fine, but i have heard more people say that a smaller boat will be better and it makes sense. why else would kayak companies make different size then? if anyone has anything else to add please do
I think the issue is more regarding body size/frame versus boat size, more so then weight v. volume. If your tall and, super lean, and fairly strong, then the store owner might be right saying you'll be fine it in.

If those conditions don't apply, follow the advice here and trade it in!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts