Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a canyon trip the first 3 weeks of June.

I'm concerned about the limited campsite options with the low water levels, as we plan to do a layover day during that stretch. Any suggestions on campsite options other than what is in the Martin Whitis map and Martin's "Day Hikes from the River?"

Any scouting and rapid advice is welcome as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
614 Posts
You’ve got several camp options between Diamond and Separation. The only desirable spot between Separation and the Grand Wash Cliffs is Surprise which you’ll likely have to share. Lot’s of folks prefer to night float starting at Separation. Surprise is a pretty side canyon, but you avoid the daytime helicopter flocks below Quartermaster at night.

As far as scouting, 232 mi, aka KFF deserves a look to convince yourself you don’t want to ride the wave train like this boat does:
YouTube - Killer Fang falls 2008

·
Registered
2 Posts
Once you pass surprise canyon there are no campsites until the beach below pearce ferry rapid. Just massive sediment banks. Check out travertine canyon. Travertine falls, and columbine falls. All amazing places. Most everything is read and run. Scout 232 river right. Watch out for the fangs I have seen them rip d rings off a raft and bend a frame. If you are going to southcove scout pearce river left. I haven't been down there yet this year but it was wild in November. Iceberg was also fun as it had a nice large wavetrain.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Not true, Scout Camp about a mile above Columbine Falls isn't a bad place to stay and the are a few beaches just above the PF ramp.

Once you pass surprise canyon there are no campsites until the beach below pearce ferry rapid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good to know. I have been doing diamond down a couple times a year, for the last four years. I guess always motoring from seperation and thoughts of PF rapid have kept my mind off scouring for camps in the sediment banks. I have always just gone from spencer or surprise to the beach below PF. Excited to get back and see how things have changed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts