Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have some info on camping around Glenwood Springs. I am heading up there with my dad this weekend. I am going to paddle shoshone. I am looking for something with nice scenery, not super crowded and noisy. It would be nice to have some bathrooms, but not too picky on amenities as long as the nature is good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
you might want to try up the "river road" out of Dotsero. there are a few campsites up there, cant say as to how quiet they are, but its a nice area.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I second the Dotsero idea. The area you want is up Colorado River Road a ways (get off at the Dotsero exit, find the river, and follow the road that goes upstream) till you get to "Coffee Pot Road". There is a bunch of great camping there right off the road. Fire pits and a toilet are there I believe. Should be fairly quiet, especially after dark as that road is not high traffic. Its got a neat little creek goin through it and stuff and I have enjoyed camping there on several occasions. Hope that helps.

JH

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's a developed campground @ No Name. It's the hwy. exit b4 G-Wood as you go west. It's close to Shoshone and it's also a good take-out for the Grizzly Creek run. Disclaimer: This is what I remember from 10 yrs ago.

·
Registered
971 Posts
There is one at No Name, it is a private pay site. I'm not sure how quiet, it may be retirement community for raft guides. Check it out though, location is ideal, right on the river. Might be operated by Rock Gardens rafting?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, I camped at rock gardens once. I seem to remember trains barreling through the canyon at 1:00 am, 3:00 am and 5:00 am. Unless you've got a sound-proof RV, forget it.

Drive a little further up I-70 and check out Coffee Pot Rd!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Seems most rivers in Colorado have trains (barreling by your river camp site at night).

I think I read somewhere that the Gunnison is the only river in the Colorado river basin (in Colorado) that doesn't have train tracks beside it.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
There are several areas to camp in, if you head up valley toward Aspen. Redstone on Mcclure pass comes to mind. Penny Hot springs is just down the road from it.

You can also take the road up onto the BLM land above town. Turn North on the road that runs under the tram going up to Glenwood Caverns. Take a right at the first real major dirt road. There is a sign right there that has a map on it and is on a major corner. Follow that road up to the top of the ridge and camp in the flat saddle area. Stay off the private mine claims and you'll be golden.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Camp

KOA New Castle, or Head toward Redstone, BRB 5miles up Crystal on left,
5 more miles Avalanche Creek Campground, 3 mile Canyon in Glenwood,
Ami's Acres in West Glenwood.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts