Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first trip on the MF of the Salmon is coming up next week. Looks like great water levels. We are planning on 6 nights/7days. How many miles would one plan on each day and where should I camp. Hoping someone has done the trip for this length and has an "ideal" itinerary. Any camps worth staying at for two nights? Many thanks in advance.

James

·
Registered
795 Posts
You only have to average about 15 miles per day...at the flows you'll experience next week 25 miles in a day is pretty easy to do.

You'll get a lot of suggestions for camps, everyone has their favs. But for layover days, try to get a campsite close (within hiking distance) to a hot spring. The camps close to Loon Creek are pretty popular, sunflower, hospital bar has a hot spring I really like...but might be underwater.

Can't go wrong...anywhere. Have fun!

·
Registered
6 Posts
No layover days on the Middlefork. With a trip that long at spring flows you will only be on the water a couple hours a day! Classic camps are 1)whatever, 2)Marble Creek, 3)Loon Creek, 4) Camas Creek, 5)Survey, 6) whatever

·
Registered
173 Posts
Camas Creek is a great layover camp. Great hiking, nice creek (runnable if you want to lug hardboats or duckies), nice tent sites. Have a great trip--we putin on the 12th and are hoping for water!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
No layover days on the Middlefork. With a trip that long at spring flows you will only be on the water a couple hours a day! Classic camps are 1)whatever, 2)Marble Creek, 3)Loon Creek, 4) Camas Creek, 5)Survey, 6) whatever
Not true. There is only one hot spring camp per trip and only one night after big creek but they will allow layovers otherwise

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I was not aware layovers were allowed at hot spring camps, e.g. Loon or Sunflower. Has something changed?
Yeah, you can layover from the eveing to the morning. Only one night at a hot springs camp per permit. Period.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, you can layover from the eveing to the morning. Only one night at a hot springs camp per permit. Period.
I think we are agreeing. To me, a one-nighter is a camp, and staying there two nights is a layover, which is (sensibly) not allowed at any of the hot spring camps, since everyone would like to enjoy at least one night at a hot spring, but not everyone can have even one.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I scored two hot spring camps on a trip once. She thought one of them would be underwater(and nobody wanted it) but I knew better. Great trip. Scored Trail Flat and Sunflower.

FYI,sunflower is for a small group if you weren't aware..

·
Registered
195 Posts
MF camps

Trail Flat camp is a great hot spring but only below 4 ft. In my opinion the best hot spring on the trip because it is at the river. If you camp at Joe Bump you can hike down to Sheepeater hot spring, shallow but nice. Since you are only allowed one hot spring camp per trip duration I would take first Trail Flat if the water is below 4ft have lunch at sheepeater the next day and get in a soak and then camp at Big Snag. Then camp further down the next day around Marble camp, the next day stop at Sunflower and soak and then go to Shelf camp and hike up to Loon Hot Spring another great hot spring,(the Big Loon Camp is the hot spring camp). If the water is above 4ft well then try to get the Lost Oak camp across from Sunflower or Big Loon camp as your hot spring camp. Hippity Ho!:p

·
Registered
55 Posts
I layed over at the high bench camp river left across from Sunflower. Big carry to camp but an easy ferry to Sunflower if nobody is camped there. We watched that eddie get destroyed the next morning by logs in the big run-off two years ago.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That high bench across from Sunflower is Lost Oak, it is a grunt up to the main camp but an easy ferry to the hot spring. A great place for a layover is further down at Wilson Creek. Try to get Otter Bar camp as your last night camp it's the best camp for the last night.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The first 2 days tend to be slower due to less and more technical water, a minor factor at current level but a big deal as the level drops. Don't obsess with doing average daily mileage every day - you can go much faster downstream. No bad campsites, IMO. Think too about how long you want your last day to be and work backwards, as you can only camp 1 night below Big Creek. Consider also camps that are not hot spring camps but are within walking/ferrying distance from hot springs (some specific camps but not all have been mentioned).

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Cave camp is one right across from Hospital, the last one on the trip. It's not very large and its really hot but easily accessable across the river. If you have a bucket boat you can probably make your own hot tub!

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
We like Marble left, Rock Island for a layover, Funston, either Survey or Wollard for another layover, and Otter Bar. Sunflower is fun, but only for a small group. Never stayed at Lost Oak, but it seems like a good spot. Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
stateland is a good site. never stayed there but scouted on way by.
there are no bad hot spring sites except for whitey cox -- there are mites there. I don't think the rangers ever try and get someone to camp there ...

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Stateland Right is a nice camp. Lots of space and flat. +1 on the mites at Whitey Cox.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts