Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading down to Carbondale for the weekend and looking for somewhere to camp that is within walking distance of town...I've heard that you can camp at one of the put-in areas for the roaring fork?? anyone know where this would be?

Thanks,
Gavin

·
Registered
71 Posts
might not be doable?

dont know about the other put-ins,but im pretty sure you'll see "no camping" posted at the "sutank" road put-in,just below the main town bridge.theyve leveled the parking lot,so its wide open;and they may have pulled the potty already.if you can chill inside your vehicle,overnite,you may be able to blend in the background cars,but i dont know about local patrolling.....

paid campsites in glenwood include NoName in canyon;Ami's Acres in west glen;one up the road to sunlight,etc.

any others,i dont know about?

public land is just hard to find,in that valley corridor.....

any c-daler's want to weigh in?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think the town bought the campground above the ramp when they purchased the property. I think that it is self serve and is still open. If not you could head south out of town and there is a campground at avalanche creek, its maybe 5 miles down the road.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah the town does have the old RV campground now. I'm not sure what you're looking for in the camp site, but it might work for you.

To get there, just before the put-in, take the left fork instead of the right. It's right next to the intersection of Hwys 82 & 133, but you gotta take a road just down-valley to get there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good luck...

You won't find camping within walking distance from town so forget it-unless you've got an rv-type set up.

The best you can do is to maybe find a stealth spot along the crystal river at one of the pull-outs off the main road-or lurk up the dirt road from bone'dale towards mt. sopris trailhead.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I created a google map with a few camping spots I know. Some of these were party spots back when I was in high school but you can also camp at them. I know of one more up by CMC Spring Valley but can't remember exactly how to get there. We called it Look Out. Right by a pond.

It is an open map so anyone can get in there and add spots, please do.

Camping Near Glenwood Springs - Google Maps

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input everyone! Greatly appreciated. I'm just lookin for a place to park my truck and sleep in the back for a couple nights...hopefully free! Surely I can sail in under the radar at one of these places.

·
Outdoor Recreation
34 Posts
You can disperse camp in Bureau of Land Management public lands for 14 days, unless it is posted otherwise, as long as you are not residing there and you are recreating. The BLM asks that you do not create new roads or pull-outs, but use existing disturbed areas to disperse camp. If you build a rock ring, please make sure to dismantle it before you leave. Also please use Leave No Trace ethics, and carry out your toilet paper.

If you do choose to camp on BLM public lands, enjoy your stay.

-Bureau of Land Management
Colorado River Valley Field Office
2300 River Frontage Road
Silt, CO 81652
(970) 876-9000

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm heading down to Carbondale for the weekend and looking for somewhere to camp that is within walking distance of town...I've heard that you can camp at one of the put-in areas for the roaring fork?? anyone know where this would be?

Thanks,
Gavin

The campsite is above the put in at Carbondale...make a right turn at Sutank on Hwy 82 before you head up the hill to Hwy 133. go straight down the little frontage road and it will fork...stay high and to the left...you will drive right into the campground. If you need a shuttle please call Charm Shuttles. we have been running river shuttles for 17 years here in the valley 970) 379-3966

1 - 10 of 10 Posts