Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about doing a 3 day / 2 night trip on Ark in July from Salida East to Parkdale. I know I can reserve a walk in site at Vallie Bridge, but not sure where to try to camp between there and Parkdale. Is there anything someone can recommend on river left such that I am not roadside? I have my dogs and don't want to be anywhere near the road. I don't mind a bit of a walk if it's under the railroad, but don't want any scrambling up a steep hill with tables/groover.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,471 Posts
There is a real big nice one that can camp several groups with a bunch of cottonwoods. It gets camped at occasionally by privates and gets some commercial overnight traffic. I'm spacing how far above Pinnacle it is, but you could go out to parkdale from there in a day at decent flows for sure. If it is just you and a couple dogs there should be lots of makeshift options, a bigger group, less.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
There is a real big nice one that can camp several groups with a bunch of cottonwoods. It gets camped at occasionally by privates and gets some commercial overnight traffic. I'm spacing how far above Pinnacle it is, but you could go out to parkdale from there in a day at decent flows for sure. If it is just you and a couple dogs there should be lots of makeshift options, a bigger group, less.

If memory serves, Cottonwood camp is about MM 256 on highway 50, pinnacle rock is at MM 258. I suppose you could always camp at AHRA Lone Pine as well, but it's a hardened site, but it is about 1/2 way between Vallie Bridge and Pinnacle. In the summer, there are numerous rattlesnake reports at Cottonwood...

·
Super Moderator
4,101 Posts
It's not the best but there's camping down through that stretch on BLM land. Typically you'll need to tie up and go up a drainage under the RR tracks on River Left. Then you'll find yourself on a barren bench with cacti and completely exposed to the road over across the river. The alternative is to camp out down in the gully and pray for a rain-less night...

The campsite Marshall and Zach are talking about is on River Left
a mile or so below Texas Creek and not far above Pinnacle Rock. It's probably the best one on the stretch but is a very long way below Vallie Bridge. There's room for a second group about 50 yds. downstream if the main campsite by the giant fallen cottonwood is taken.

There are also occasional spots on River Right but they'll have you directly at the bottom of the embankment below the road. Be wary of camping on private land.

Let us know what you find!

-AH

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the intel - good stuff. Sounds like a few options. I've floated that area many times, but never paid very close attention to where I could camp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts