Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m figuring out fires for a March trip where gathering firewood is forbidden. I can bring firewood as I have an endless supply of dimensional hardwoods I can box up and bring. But I’m trying to figure out how much. When regs say you can’t gather wood, does that include the entire river corridors? Or can you gather once out of the Park? How about on Res land, if we have a Res permit?

Also looking into a Lava Box for temperate nights where a fire is nice, but heat isn’t necessary. Any real use suggestions on how much propane they use? I’ve seen the specs, but they seem really conservative. If they are accurate, that seems like a great solution.

· My name isn't Will
721 Posts
We brought a bunch of firewood for a March trip several years ago. We had fires many nights on the river, and we still hauled a lot of it back.

If you have lumber, that's a good option. Packs well in an old drybag. We just loaded some in the bottom of the load in one of the boats. Note: please don't bring "firewood" from home unless you live nearby. Invasive species can hitch rides in firewood! If you just want to bring firewood, buy it locally once you get to Arizona.

· Registered
1,283 Posts
Assumes some gear rented or privates using the ammo can as well but best trick my buddy does is to cut 2x4s (non-treated or toxic) to fit and fill ALL the empty groover ammo cans. Doubles up useable space without impacting boat space, and you are burning it anyway so not worried about the carrier ammo can. Have seen an outfit or two down there using this solution now as well to add capacity for wood. Not so good for a lot of private groover solutions.

Have a Lava box and believe if you are not full on flame all the times the specs are a good estimate, but they can and will burn propane so need to watch that. Love mine and will be taking it next trip if we ever get one.

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Best trick my buddy does is to cut 2x4s (non-treated or toxic) to fit and fill ALL the empty groover ammo cans. Doubles up useable space without impacting boat space, and you are burning it anyway so not worried about the carrier ammo can. Have seen an outfitter or two down there using this solution now as well to add capacity for wood...

Have a Lava box and believe if you are not full on flame all the times the specs are a good estimate, but they can and will burn propane so need to watch that. Love mine and will be taking it next trip if we ever get one.
Thanks for the feedback on the Lava Box. What size do you have? Trying to decide between the standard one and the Krakatoa. How much extra propane would you bring? Figuring I’d burn it on occasional mornings and about half our evenings on a 25 day trip.
Packing firewood isn’t an issue. I have piles of oak and walnut drops to fill groover ammo cans with. Just trying to determine if there are places to gather, such as the Res, and after leaving the Park in order to figure out how much to bring.

· Registered
1,283 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on the Lava Box. What size do you have?
I have the standard, and my camping use this fall was grabbing an unknown filled status 25lb tank and never had issues running it a lot. So nothing scientific or worth benchmarking with, compared to other Buzzards I have failed in that aspect. What I can say is the insta fire in the morning is sublime, but does take a bit for the can to cool down so watch that on a raft. Have dealt with their customer support and was beyond pleased, they are boaters and stand behind the product. That's why I back their estimated "12-16 hours on 10lb tank" and would take a couple dedicated for the lava box on a March trip.

If I hit the lottery would also buy the Krakatoa and take another two 10lb tanks and live in luxury whenever it's called for, which is all the time the ditch for me.

· Registered
478 Posts
You can't gather wood anywhere in the river corridor outside of the regulated season. You are in Grand Canyon National Park from the cable at Lee's Ferry to about mile 271. A tribal permit does not exempt you, it's still in the river corridor. You will burn less than you think, I've carried wood down that never got used several times.

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can't gather wood anywhere in the river corridor outside of the regulated season. You are in Grand Canyon National Park from the cable at Lee's Ferry to about mile 271. A tribal permit does not exempt you, it's still in the river corridor. You will burn less than you think, I've carried wood down that never got used several times.
Thanks! That’s the info I needed.

· Registered
478 Posts
Thanks! That’s the info I needed.
Correction, the park boundary is actually at the Grand Wash Cliffs at mile 277.

· Registered
240 Posts
A duffle bag of hardwood cut offs goes a long ways if burned Indian style. I took a propane fire on the last trip. The 2 twenty year olds passed out around it I got up and turned it off about 1:00 am. They had gone through a lot of the propane we had allotted. It was nice to fire up in the morning a few times.

· Registered
1 Posts
We did wood pellet fires on a March 2020 trip, using these wire mesh crate things: https://reposenow.com/ . We brought along 160lbs of pellets and had a fire most nights. They do need to be kept dry or they turn back into sawdust. The ash is really fine, doesn't take up any space at all. Worth bringing a small propane torch to get them going faster.

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As an alternative to a stand alone propane 'pit, I'd offer this: View attachment 83328
Fire pan\burner\ceramic log combo that I built. Detailed here, beginning at post #35....

I saw this in that other thread you linked. It’s on the build list for a time when I have time. I’ll be full throttle until we shove off, so I can’t imagine I’ll be able to build one.

· Registered
975 Posts
I saw this in that other thread you linked. It’s on the build list for a time when I have time. I’ll be full throttle until we shove off, so I can’t imagine I’ll be able to build one.
With all due respect, if ya cut back on your Mtnbuzz time budget just a smidge, you could build one of those burners, easy. It wouldn't take an hour, once you had the parts gathered. It's one trip to the hardware store, plus an Amazon order. 😉

I know I'd be more productive without you beaters!

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With all due respect, if ya cut back on your Mtnbuzz time budget just a smidge, you could build one of those burners, easy. It wouldn't take an hour, once you had the parts gathered. It's one trip to the hardware store, plus an Amazon order. 😉

I know I'd be more productive without you beaters!
It’s how I stay sane. Ten minutes of mind numbing raft forums for every four hours of sanding.

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sanding IS mind numbing!
I hope you've got Festool's!
I use Mirka and Eekasand sanders. Not a big fan of Festool sanders. Love their routers, chop saw, and domino cutters, but do not like their sanders. Mirkas are, in my opinion, miles above anyone else. But even with awesome sanders, it’s mind numbing. And I do PILES of sanding. Though I do a lot less since finally buying a wide belt a few years ago.

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Park boundary is at RM 240 - Separation Canyon. Beyond that point in your in Lake Mead National Rec Area
So who regulates the river once you leave the Park boundary? And if the left side is Reservation land, how can the Park restrict what happens on that land?
(I am certainly not trying to find ways to skirt the law/rules. Just learning. )

1 - 20 of 29 Posts