Mountain Buzz banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
Grand Canyon Camps 070-080

Attached are sunrise-sunset graphs between miles 70 and 80 for the Grand Canyon. The spreadsheet summarizes the camps and has hyperlinks for immediate access to birds-eye and river view of the camps in Google Maps.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #42 ·
Grand Canyon Camps 080-100

This is how it is fleshing out.....

Twenty miles per page.

Inclusion of rapids and their current and historic considerations(blue).

Significant stops(red).

Camps green now including a column for sunrise and sunset estimated at three critical times to the nearest significant half hour.

Camps, rapids and significant stops hyperlink to Google Maps plan and river views.

And More.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #43 ·
Data 080-120

This release is for 40 miles between mile 080 and 120.

Checking out how efficiently larger files scroll during web viewing and on cell phone.

In the spreadheet, for sunrise/sunset read a preceding "-"(minus sign) as before the hour indicated by as much as a half hour. Read a preceding "+"(plus sign) as after the indicated hour by as much as a half hour. Read and indicated hour with no plus or minus as the indicated time plus or minus ten minutes. This nomenclature, for now, is a tidy expression of a sunrise/sunset within a 20 minute window. For example a sunset time of; "-3" indicates a time between 2:30pm and 2:50pm; "3" indicates a time between 2:50pm and 3:10pm; and, "+3" indicates a time between 3:10pm and 3:30pm.

In the spreadsheet, I converted afternoon times to pm abandoning the 24 hour clock because very few people think on a daily basis in "military" time, perhaps especially on the river. I frequently work in "military" time but even now find myself doing a mandatory mental conversion to am/pm time when considering sunrise/sunset.

In the spreadsheet, rapids include a full historical accounting of rating. The Rivermap rating is in columns Size and Quality. Following the rapid name is the Stevens, Belknap and BYU Guide rating. This historical accounting provides a better understanding of rapid variability dependent on flow and the passing of decades. The BYU Guide dates to ratings by the original river runners of the 1950's and 60's(Modified from Jones 1962). The Belknap rating is from an early edition dated 1969 and updated through the 1970's. The Stevens rating is from a third edition dated 1983. Proper acknowledgement of Stevens, Belknap and the BYU guide will be included in the bibliography.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #44 ·
BIBLIOGRAPHY

Belknap, Buzz; Grand Canyon River Guide, Westwater Books, Boulder City, NV, 1969.

BYU Guide by Hamblin, W. Kenneth and J. Keith Rigby: Grand Canyon River Guide, Book I, Dept. of Geology, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT, 1969.

BYU Guide by Hamblin, W. Kenneth and J. Keith Rigby: Grand Canyon River Guide, Book II, Dept. of Geology, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT, 1969.

Martin, Tom and Duwain Whitis; Guide to the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon, Vishnu Temple Press, Flagstaff, AZ, 2019.

Stevens, Larry; The Colorado River in The Grand Canyon, Red Lake Book, Flagstaff, AZ, 1983.

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Next river!?!?!?! :)

Hadn't thought about it much yet.
I've thought about it now.

Substantial programming over the last week addressed the question of future rivers. The programming streamlined and tightened the concept of tight coordination with the amazing guidebook series "Rivermaps".

I must admit I have had to "adjust" coordinates of a few camps to reality but the guidebooks and Rivermap gpx files are for(most) practical purposes precise.

Perhaps the next project will be the Main Salmon as requested by Nubie Jon but my campsite notes there are spotty and the lack of Google river level views tend to steer me to do the Yampa next.

My current programming however tends to allow(before death) all Rivermap guide rivers.

Hence, wrapping back to mile zero with above considerations are Grand Canyon mile 0 to 40,,,,,,,, tomorrow cause screwed up.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #47 ·
Well, if you can't boat the Grand right now you can still visit it virtually. The right two columns in the attached spreadsheet are hyperlinks that open a Google Maps window either looking directly down on a camp or rapid(sat) or looking at a camp or rapid(river) from river level perspective.

Finding that my Longitude/Latitudes plotted about 30 feet off my UTM coordinates I had to restart the generation of my Graphs and Spreadsheets.
Attached are the graphs and spreadsheets for mile 0 to mile 40.

The graphs are synthetic 360 degree vistas calculated from the perspective of the coordinate provided by Martin and Whitis Rivermap guidebook. I corrected a few slight coordinate errors in the GPX files posted on Rivermaps.net. The vistas include the path of the sun during the significant dates of Summer Solstice, Winter solstice and averaged Spring/Fall Equinox. Considering the horizon line and paths of the sun year round sunrise and sunset times can easily be guesstimated.

The spreadsheet features all river camps, 5 and harder rapids and a few other significant locations. The spreadsheet columns are:
1. Page: Rivermaps Map page.
2. ID: The river mile and feature code. Camps(green) are either river left(LC) or river right(RC). MM are mile markers(black). And rapids(blue).
3. Size: Either camp relative size from 0 to 9 or rapid drop in feet.
4. Quality: Either camp relative quality from 0 to 9 or rapid difficulty from 5 to 10.
5. ID_Name: Either camp or rapid name. For rapids historic ratings by Stevens, Belknap and BYU are provided.
6. Sunrise W,SF,S: Sunrise times estimated to the nearest 20 minute interval.
7. Sunset W,SF,S: Sunset times estimated to the nearest 20 minute interval.
8. Sat View: Satellite view hyperlink.
9. River View: River view hyperlink.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #52 ·
Guide containing graphs for 255 camps in the Grand Canyon

Attached is the completed Guide to 255 camps in the Grand Canyon. The guide is a tribute and supplement to the hard work by Martin and Whitis and their Rivermap Guide to the Grand Canyon.

The Guide is published as 7 volumes due to PDF size limitations when uploading to Mountain Buzz. Each volume is 40 miles. I prefer the Guide as a single PDF but, oh well.

For each camp there is a graph that includes river mile, relative camp size and quality on a scale of 0 to 9, camp name, Rivermap page, a synthetic 360 vista, solar paths for every month of the year, sunrise and sunset times on the 21st day in each of the 12 months of the year within a 10 minute estimation; AND, there's more.

Loading the PDF for viewing may be slow but please be patient and consider that the files contain very, very complex pages for each camp.

The graphs scroll very quickly on my smart phone. It scrolls much faster on my computer when I set the paging to "Continuous"; otherwise, scrolling may be painfully slow.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #53 ·
Attached are two PDFs. The PDFs are two versions of a data table detailing the essence of the Grand Canyon Graphs.

One PDF is five pages formatted to print on letter size paper. The file contains for each camp or rapid two hyperlinks identified in adjacent columns as "sat" and "river". When your computer is appropriately configured clicking on "sat" provides an instantaneous satellite high resolution image of the camp in Google Map. Clicking on "river" provides an instanteous river view perspective of the camp or rapid.

The second PDF is a single page formatted for legal paper printing which is the paper size of the Rivermap Guidebook. Hence, it could be considered an insert/last page/appendix to the Rivermaps Guidebook. The font size and color unfortunately is not appropriate for the far sighted or color blind. Sorry.

Attachments

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.