Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to get new straps for the cat. And was wondering what all of the "pros" use.

Looking at strapworks and they have 5 types to choose from and based on there descriptions I have it narrowed down to Heavyweight Polypropylene and Polyester.

The polyester has alot higher break strength over the HWP. BUt they have a pretty good deal on strap kits but they only come in HWP.

So what would you all get

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you'd asked what brand people buy you may have got some replies.

I'm far from a "pro" but I used to buy NRS and have no idea what they are made of. I no longer have access to wholesale orders from NRS and they want way too much for their straps. Now I buy Aire outcast and like them even more than the NRS straps. I have no idea what the Aire straps are made of. They can be bought at Sportsmans warehouse for like 10 bucks for a 4 pack but they only carry a few sizes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use 1.5" polyester from strapworks. Great quality, and you can get crazy cool designs so there is no mistaking that they are your straps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Billings Sunshine sports

I bought these straps a few years ago in Billings Montana at Sunshine Sports. They are cam straps but the are really thick and really strong. About twice as thick as an NRS strap They dont have them on their web site, but if you call and ask for the heavy duty whitewater straps, they'll tell you about them. I've abused the heck out my gear and they are still holding strong, and they dont seem to sunfade like NRS or other straps. Not saying anything bad about NRS straps, but these seem stronger. I'm working on rigging up all three of my cats with them, and order a bunch every year. I think I started using them five years ago, float mostly during high water and have still yet to break one. You might check em out, everybody that sees them likes em.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
From what I've seen- most of the stuff out there is Polypro- Nylon was the old standard but it is largely being replaced by Polypro and polyester cause it stretches and really isn't that strong compared to the newer stuff. Nylon<Polypro<Polyester on the strength meter-

If they're too "grainy" or open weave, they're harder to tighten- but less likely to slip- I have some old Sotars that are really smooth and easy to tighten, but will loosen on their own a little. Always a trade off-

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Polyester all the way.

Nylon stretches when wet and sun fades.
Polypro gets hard and frays with sun exposure.

Polyester starts strongest and stays strongest.

NRS does have two springs in their cams. I believe Salamander does as well.
Strapworks and most other strap makers only use a single spring.
Two springs do bite better with more camming force.

·
Tenacious B
83 Posts
I run Strapworks polyester for my cat frame to D ring connections. However, polyester doesn't float so i use a high visibility polypro for taglines and fliplines. You can get the personalized polyester in a rafter package it's just more money than the polypro. Still a smokin' good deal through Strapworks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts