Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter project. Need to replace sun / weather beaten webbing on cam straps.

Recommendations for type and source of appropriate thread?

Recommendations for type of webbing and source?

Box X pattern or bar tacking?

I know we will have many differing opinions and I thank you for your input.

R

·
Registered
823 Posts
I’m a polyester webbing and thread box stitch kind of guy. Strapworks does a good job of consumer level orders. I selfishly got my mom a Sailrite a number of years ago so can get away with pretty heavy thread.

Granite-Are you sure on the 7390? Just looked it up and it says this on product notes.

Product Note: Not recommended for outdoor use. Webbing #7390.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I called Strapworks before ordering many straps. Explained they were for rafting applications and the CS rep said their “utility polyester” was the best choice. FWIW.

Reactions: MT4Runner

·
Registered
823 Posts

·
Beater
229 Posts
I'm only using polypro for light duty applications these days, polyester webbing and thread for anything load bearing. Abrasion/UV resistance and strength of polyester is the main benefit, no car manufacturer is making seat belts from polypro...

V138 polyester thread, box-x stitch and this webbing:

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I use NRS webbing which I prefer over strapworks. I used to use NRS buckles but they have not been available for a year. Ancra is the next best IMO. Seattle fabrics has the best prices lately. FWIW I've been sewing my own straps and gear for 13 years. This is the thread I use, and use a box X stitch for straps. I will use a bar tack when spinning the fabric is difficult, like when I sewed my own everything bag for the stern of the raft.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts