Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at google earth for a long time at a single spot and its the laramie river below what I think is Wheatland Reservoir number two. Anybody have info on this stretch or heard of anything? It looks sick and has some big stuff showing in the maps so i thought it would be worth seeing if anybody else has noticed it.

Worth a try
Thanks
Luke

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Wheatland Reservoir 2 outflows into Bluegrass Creek. Good 1/2-1mile V at the top. It's in the book.

COUNT

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
naw Im pretty sure this is the Laramie it comes out on the western side and it goes under a couple bridges and diversion dams before it gets good. Its about a 15 mile run before it gets to a pretty small reservoir and dam. If you have earth the put in is at 41 56'08.06 N 105 33'37.83 W and the take out is 41 55'25.77 N 105 25'37.07 W Im not sure these are right but its what the pointer was at. Not real sure about land ownership but the put in and take out look the best to me.
Take a look
Luke
Wheatland Reservoir 2 outflows into Bluegrass Creek. Good 1/2-1mile V at the top. It's in the book.

COUNT

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
East is east

How about southeast Wyoming?

I looked for a USGS gage online, but couldn't find one. Might be a state gage below the dam. I think releases are timed for irrigation. It'd be a cramp to drive there and not find enough water.

Chip

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm interested in this. Some time ago I read an article about some guys running what they said was a classic section of water on the Laramie. As I recall it was just a lucky thing as it is normally dewatered and they happened upon it on a road/boating trip when it had a rare release. Don't know if i still have that article, but it might be worth some research

·
Registered
138 Posts
It really looks like the spot freexbiker calls the take-out on the Laramie is the actual diversion tunnel to get water over to Bluegrass. There is some sort of impoundment at the take-out coords., and if you go S-SE from there about 1/2 mile down the dirt road, that is the beginning of Bluegrass, no?
So I think what you're looking at is the same water as Bluegrass, but upstream and over a watershed boundary. Should be same gage, outflow of Wheatland No. 2 Res. From coloradokaying.com: "Call 307-742-7657 (auto) or 307-742-0023 (voice) for the outflow from Wheatland #2."

·
Registered
231 Posts
OK I took a look on GE. My guess is that it is the Laramie River but not sure. The run is below Wheatland Res #2 and flows into a small reservoir (which feeds Bluegrass). You can see one end of the diversion tunnel on the south shore of the small reservoir (41°55'22.87"N 105°25'32.52"W) scroll south about 1/2 mile or less and you'll see the other end of the tunnel pop out of the sage brush and into the beginning of the Bluegrass run (41°54'54.83"N 105°25'18.78"W).

There looks to be a good take-out here (41°56'5.08"N 105°31'7.42"W) but that would make the run just over 3 miles. Your proposed take-out is at the southeast shore of the small reservoir, making the run 9+ with intermittent rocks/possible rapids and a fair amount of flat water, interesting.

My guess is that the Wyoming BLM Rawlins field office would have more info about land ownership, access, and proper names.

Rawlins

Let us know what they say :).

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
the stuff farther up on tunnel road

the outflow from that little reservoir feeds straight underground to the outflow tunnel for bluegrass the run above the little reservoir could possibly be flowing the same as the bluegrass reading if the reading if coming straight from reservoir #2 somebody let me know might have to do some explor. only looks like one good section with all that flatwater you need to beable to zoom in more!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Found that article...written by Jim Rada He ran it in 1983 ...sounded like a fluke He was there when some work was being done on a tunnel. It is the Laramie below Wheatland #2 Top few miles sounded like just fun stuff, then dropped into a class 4-5 canyon that he ran alone. In the article he says that it had not had water in it for 20 years, so don't know if we'll ever see it. The takeout he refers to is Palmer Canyon Road. He reports running it at about 500CFS

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
South east boaters

sorry about all of those mistakes
I think where i got the idea is from AW and those are kind of edited cords but i think i put them where there is actually public land and the only good take out was on that side of the reservoir just wondering didnt actually know that bluegrass runs below that but it makes sense. thanks for the information though i thought it looked cool might have to do some explorin like Casper Mike said but it would suck to not have it running
Thanks every one
Luke

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
the mysterious Lower Laramie

Since I live on the Laramie River, in the mountains upstream of the town, this intrigues me. There are two nice little whitewater canyon runs (2+) near our house, but nothing worth driving a long way for. The lower part is more like ag. plumbing than a river, but might give a good run at the right flow.

When I checked out the Google Earth image, I could see water in the channel and some evident rockgardens, falls, etc. There's a long reach through the rocky stuff with no roads close. But most of the land (including the potential put-in) is private. Ranchers in those parts tend to be prickly and there are a lot of locked gates. There are also lots of rattlers along the streambanks.

I did find some gages, NOAA rather than USGS. The upstream gage is: <www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=cys&gage=bosw4&view>

Once you get there, look for an arrow for the downstream gage at Fort Laramie, which should give a rough idea of how much water's going through that reach.

If I get a chance, I might check it out this fall, for access, etc.

yrs, Chip

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good Info

Thanks Chip
Its nice to have a local with an idea of the area but I don't want you to take the brunt of the work. Im going to try and call the BLM the next time Im at work for more info into what we can do.
PM me if you go take a look I might be able to come down and explor with you
Luke

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Not local in those parts–

Thanks for the offer to share a scout.

Local I'm not. I live on the Big Laramie above Woods Landing, about 7 miles from the Colorado border, so it's a 2 hr. drive for me to check this one out. But I have to go to Cheyenne in September and might nose about then.

On the map, Bluegrass Ck. looks like a whole different watershed. Not sure what's up with that. There are tunnels & other weird shit over there.

A good source for land status are the BLM 100,000 series topos (with the yellow cover). Or the Wyoming Atlas & Gazetteer (DeLorme) which has topos that show land status. According to which, there's virtually no BLM land on the Laramie River for some distance below the Wheatland Reservoir #2, 'til the bridge where Tunnel/ Wheatland Rd. crosses. Below that is a good bit of BLM or FS land, which looks more mountainous. So that might be where the rock & roll lives.

Looks as if the simplest access is from WY 34 (the Sybille Canyon Road) on the Wheatland side. No great rush– I expect it's a late May or June run.

yrs, Chip

·
Registered
118 Posts
According to the article I referred to earlier, the run was made in July He was there again when it was briefly running also in July. Aside from the Palmer Canyon Rd another landmark he mentions as being the end of the burliest whitewater is Duck Creek. If one of you wants to PM me I would be glad to copy the article and send it Good Luck
Scott

·
Registered
111 Posts
Local info

Some guys I fish with are from Wheatland and grew up on Bluegrass creek. They've made a few hair-ball runs on the creek and know a little about the water you guys are attempting to re-con. They say it's pretty big stuff... thier words exactly was "that's for pro's" My reply was that it has to be the spot. He wasn't sure where you're thinking about putting in but if you e-mail him he might be able to help.

His web-site is cowboydrifters.com and you can reach him through that site. He said it's not running right now though.

Caspermike... you ever run the encampment?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Laramie Canyon

Check out the American Whitewater page on the run
American Whitewater - NWRI - Laramie 3- Thunder River Rd. (Wheatland #2) to Tunnel Rd. (Laramie Canyon)
It has photos and info
The water for the Laramie is the same water that flows into Bluegrass Creek when you get the flow from Wheatland #2. There is a tad more water in the Laramie than Bluegrass because they have to release about 50 cfs into the Laramie below Tunnel Road. The section below Tunnel Rd. is the part described by Jim Rada back in the 80s. It rarely has water.

Thanks Chip
Its nice to have a local with an idea of the area but I don't want you to take the brunt of the work. Im going to try and call the BLM the next time Im at work for more info into what we can do.
PM me if you go take a look I might be able to come down and explor with you
Luke

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
hydro puzzle

Thanks, mate— the American Whitewater site is pretty informative on the Laramie R. run above Tunnel Rd. On Google Earth, it looks as if Laramie River water gets shunted into the reservoir (which is not on the main channel) and then dumped via tunnels into both Bluegrass Ck. and the Laramie River lower down (or into further tunnels for irrigation).

Geomorphically speaking, the reach below Tunnel Rd. looks like the best part. Given water, that is. Sometimes those de-watered channels get clogged with shrubs, and are pretty spooky when they do flow, strainer-wise.

Seems worth a look, anyhow. Given enough water, there could be two good days of creeking.

yrs, Chip

1 - 19 of 19 Posts