Mountain Buzz banner

Call to Action: Help a hurt kayaker.

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  jeremy_warner 
#1 ·
Some of you might have seen Jeremy's post here about losing the use of his hand to a band saw accident. This guy is amazing and super humble not even wanting to ask for help at all but I know the mountainbuzz community can come through for him like we did for Tony.

Please please consider donating money or products/services for an upcoming auction/fundraiser. The story and donate link is here: Jeremy Warner Hand Injury « Extreme Care. Jeremy is in massive debt now due to our lovely american health care system so anything you can spare will help out this super cool kid.

If you aren't too squeamish check out the extent of the injury and think about all the times you use your hand! He will only have 10% sensation.

Feel free to contact me with anything else you can donate for the fundraiser we will have in February.

-mania

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm in.

Jeremy - hang tough!

Buzzards - this is a no-brainer. Jeremy and Tony both can use our help. These are tough times but surely we all can do something, however modest.

Steve

#7 ·
I'm in.

Jeremy - hang tough!

Buzzards - this is a no-brainer. Jeremy and Tony both can use our help. These are tough times but surely we all can do something, however modest.

Steve

Thanks steve, i appreciate your help! and as posted in my original thread anyone, and everyone that has posted has helped out, while not materialistically, it has boosted my moral. And again a huge thanks to mania for setting this up, and whatever donations you do decide to make whether it's $20.00 or $.20 its just as meaningful and appreciated

#10 ·
Well, gh it may look bad, but given the face my fore arm was about the souble the size they had 2 options. do a wound VAC and send me back hom, then bring me backafter swellling went down, OR sew it up. my surgeon and therapists are amazed at how i'm doing so far, i got fitted for my new brace, it will allow me to make a fist with time, and combat 'the claw' they said once all my wounds are completely sealed up, i should be able to do pool sessions by mid jan! sweet. i came up with a way of acing my hand to the paddle, i use a pogie and then wrap it with an ace while my hand is in it. it's not super sturdy but sturdy enough for a pool, and will allow me to pull out of it with a little effort as well.

#12 ·
no need to be sorry GH you didnt do anything wrong. And thanks for wishing me luck. if i don't make the recovery i want, oh well i gave it a shot, and it'll work out regardless, there a people in much worse positions then i'm in. As a matter of fact i know an older lady who is in PT who got hit by a drunk drivr, got ejected, and she had to have whats called a live grapht. they cut a flap of skin off your belly, and sew your hand to your belly... Well shes doing great, and she asked the judge to be leniant with him. And well Tony's injury is worse then mine as well. I read a while ago that what happens is 10% but 90% is how you take it, some people its easy to get down, i guess but that doesnt solve any thing. i'm going to make it work no matter what, and i've seen it in kayakers especially. i paddle with a guy that lost his leg to the point he couldnt get a prostethic so he put ballast in his bow to compensate. My buddy broke both ankles and the second he got out into his soft boots he was out creeking. life happens, and you deal with it, i guess?

#13 ·
Hey Jeremy

I truly feel I can say that i know what you are going through and it sucks balls. Keep positive. On a daily basis i try to think of how much worse things could be. I am still walkin, still talking and I am confident I will be able to do all the things I love, they are just going to take some adjusting. My accident has been that hardest, most humbling experience of my life. The support I have received from friends, family, the paddling community and Durango has been amazing, I never thought people gave 2 shits about me. I am sure you have friends and family that will rally around you too. I have some pics of a paddling device that a guy made for nearly exactly the same situation that you have, I will get them to you tomorrow. Hang in there brother and PM me if you ever want to talk. Tony Miely

#14 ·
exactly tony, as i said(i think) my therapist told me that a positive attitude plays a HUGE part in recovery, and while your injury is far worse then mine... You're doing a great job, i haven't really changed my daily life much other then not skiing, and driving my 5 speed. But if that's all i lose then i'm pretty lucky. I've noticed that alot of people my therapist see assume the Egor/ohh always me role and everyone that has seem that they don't recover quite as well. The biggest change i'm going through at the moment is losing all my muscle mass. I'm eating healthier then i was but as seeing how i'm not able to be active in the ways i used to be i'm 200 pounds, before i was a well built 200 pounds but now its different. I'm trying to make it to the gym for some kind of cardio, or something but with PT 3x a week 60 miles a way and doctor visits i have no time. But, thanks for chiming in on this one. And while the injury stinks its kind a mixe blessing, it has shown me that alot more people care about others but themselves. From my local ski hills to Dana making that website, its pretty fantastic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.