Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ATTN boaters kayakers in cali!!! Here I find myself in cali for the next couple months and hoping to check out some whitewater while im here if the drought doesnt make that impossible. Any good info on rivers, putins takeouts, possible trips I might be able to tag along on to check some water out while im here before I head back to montana would be great. I only brought my tandem ducky down with me but I'll run it pretty much anywhere. class 3, 4 count me in. Let me know what y'all think!!!

·
Banned
678 Posts
If anyone has Beta or can link a site for the Sequoia Nat. Forest area (by the needles) I'll be there next month! Looking for class 3/4 also.

·
Registered
113 Posts
No Snow Blues

Miserable snow pack this yr.
I am not sure if the Kern would be worth it. No water on the lower at this point and the upper is barley running. Water is diverted for power on the upper section so it could be really low, but a ducky could make it. A hike in to the Forks of Kern would be epic but it is a class 5 run. Kaweah is cool but no water in it as of this time.
You might take a look at the Kings, Merced or Tuolumne. All of them are running right now. Merced is good class 3-4 and the water will not get to ass-kicking size this yr. Easy shuttle and as a bonus you would be right outside of Yosemite. Kings is class 3 and a little isolated but a great place to spend time. Tuolumne is the hardest river wise and logistically. I am not even sure if the road down is open yet. It has a release on it so there will be some water into the summer and the road will open at sometime. The T is the best.
I am down for boating anywhere with anyone but I would need enough water to float my cat. Hit me up and I can at least give you folks some info. We have a solid week of warm weather out here over spring break so what little snow will be burning off quick.
Love to get out on the rivers this week.
cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
The upper kern water is not being diverted this year due to the Edison repairing dam diversion. Water is starting to rise and flows are good for chemise, thunder, cable ect.. The forks is also another great option as low flows are still very exciting. The Kern river festival is also next weekend and will have a down river race that should be fun. If you are hitting the kern let me know and we can meet up at park in Kernville and find a run to hit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I stand corrected. If Edison is not diverting and the flow gets up around 1000 the Upper Kern is great. Right now it is 600. Kernville is a super cool town and w/ the festival it would be a rockin time. Might go myself. Need to stop in on the new micro brewery. + I love the Hut. Thanks for tip 611

·
Registered
15 Posts
Edison's diversion not being up and running is really a huge deal this year. We can now boat everything from forks to Kernville even with the lower water this year. Takes some of the sting away from not having Brush Creek for the festival. Hope to see you at the festival races.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Honestly, I think there will be a very small window for rafting if any at all. I don't raft much but I think you want 1000 + cfs. I would contact Sierra South Store to see what levels are good for rafting in there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Miserable snow pack this yr.
I am not sure if the Kern would be worth it. No water on the lower at this point and the upper is barley running. Water is diverted for power on the upper section so it could be really low, but a ducky could make it. A hike in to the Forks of Kern would be epic but it is a class 5 run. Kaweah is cool but no water in it as of this time.
You might take a look at the Kings, Merced or Tuolumne. All of them are running right now. Merced is good class 3-4 and the water will not get to ass-kicking size this yr. Easy shuttle and as a bonus you would be right outside of Yosemite. Kings is class 3 and a little isolated but a great place to spend time. Tuolumne is the hardest river wise and logistically. I am not even sure if the road down is open yet. It has a release on it so there will be some water into the summer and the road will open at sometime. The T is the best.
I am down for boating anywhere with anyone but I would need enough water to float my cat. Hit me up and I can at least give you folks some info. We have a solid week of warm weather out here over spring break so what little snow will be burning off quick.
Love to get out on the rivers this week.
cheers

unfortunately this week and next are no good, but I'll be in touch and hopefully we can hit the water soon and somewhere

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The upper kern water is not being diverted this year due to the Edison repairing dam diversion. Water is starting to rise and flows are good for chemise, thunder, cable ect.. The forks is also another great option as low flows are still very exciting. The Kern river festival is also next weekend and will have a down river race that should be fun. If you are hitting the kern let me know and we can meet up at park in Kernville and find a run to hit.
If I go after the Kern I will defintely be in touch 661, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
187 Posts
750 on the kern

w/o diversion you can raft all the upper sections, Forks too. I had a friend put a raft down the forks at 600 last week.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts