Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, putting together a trip this coming April and planning on doing some boating mixed in with some climbing, skiing and surfing. The trip is going from south to north as we will be coming from Flagstaff. First up is the Kern around April 8 and then sometime in Yosemite and Mt Shasta. After that looking to float the Klamath on the Ikes section, then off to the Redwoods. After that we'll be running the Rogue around the end of April and then doing some day runs on the Northern Umpqua before heading home. I'm wondering if anyone has any beta as far as running any of these rivers in April. I know the snow pack isn't great in California as of right now. Also, the trip is not exactly set in stone so if anyone has any must stop rivers/places/bars(Covid permitting)/etc. along the way that we should check out, I'm all ears. This will be the first time for all of us running these rivers as well, so any other information would be super helpful too. We have 2 Mini Maxs and kayaks for the daily runs and then taking 2 13' and a mini max for the Rogue. Also, we're trying to really stretch out the Rogue to 5 days. I know it's not a very long section and I assume water will be high. Is 5 days too slow? We don't mind double layovers if necessary. Thanks for any information!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Flows could be all over the place. If the Kern is low in early April, you might consider moving everything else forward and then hitting the Kern on your way back home. That might give it some time to go up.

If you are going to the redwoods and then heading to the Rogue, chances are you will find yourself right along the Smith River. In which case you may as well spend a day or two exploring a bit. Both the Middle Fork and South Fork have some logistically easy Class II/III runs. Depending on your level of adventure seeking, you may even be up for the North Fork and/or the Oregon Hole Gorge or South Fork Gorge. If it's pouring rain (somewhat likely), a decent place to base out of is at Patrick Creek Lodge.

You can definitely spend five days on the Rogue, especially if you are into a double layover. Again, who knows what the flow will be, and if it's high you could put in at Hog Creek and give yourself an additional what is normally a full day worth of miles.

Enjoy!

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
506 Posts
Watch flows on the Cal Salmon, Scott, Illinois, and Upper Klamath. The first three are full on and have big consequences. The Upper K is still big water but a little more manageable. If the UK becomes a reality contact Indigo Creek Outfitters to see if their running shuttles this year as it's a long ass shuttle that pretty much requires a dedicated shuttler to run the whole section.

Reactions: BenSlaughter

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you’re going to Mt Shasta you can also check out the upper Sacramento. There’s a great class 3 run from sims flat to pollard bar. It is a more continuous river compared to the pool drop nature of most Ca rivers. I would second checking out the smith as well. The Ike’s run on the Klamath is 4 big class 3 rapids then 6 miles of flat water to get to the next river access. My paddle crew almost mutinied on me that day. The Trinity is in the same neighborhood with a number of easy shuttle options and runs.

·
Registered
356 Posts
then sometime in Yosemite

I know the snow pack isn't great in California as of right now.
I presume you’ll look to do Merced & Tuolumne while around Yosemite.

Hard to say what flows will be. There is very minimal snowpack and things don’t usually get started until mid/late April. January is typically the big snow load month and it’s been virtually non-existent with nothing in the forecast.

That being said it’s a great time for climbing. There is also length of climbing outside of Yosemite as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dos Rios run 3 day on the Eel, or a mellow overniter, or 3d-2n, from Alderpoint down to the confluence. That's a gorgeous section. The Van Duzen has 2 short sections that are a kick at good flows. Don't think anyone has mentioned the 3 Bears run on SF Trinity, and Low Bridge to the confluence is beautiful too.
2nd Smith River, Main, North & South.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sacramento/West slope area has options like the american, yuba, moke, T, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the beta! It looks like I have lots of research/videos to watch now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts