Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been in there lately? Looks like great level for later this week. With good inner gorge levels seems like it still be worth the drive even in Pine Tree is destroyed.

Question is about portaging Pine tree...do you need to start above Cork Screw? If that left eddy is blocked by wood is the only portage option riv right and if so do you just go a bit higher to avoid that scetchy steep single track on the cliff or is it all pretty steep?

Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
We skipped corkscrew and the seal lauch and portaged yesterday. It took a very long time and envolved a river right rope systems. We ran the final drops and down to the eddy before zoot. The inner had a lot of new wood. I would not go back at the flows we had...approx. 240. It seemed too low. This was to be my first time in the inner, but our guide said a couple eddies leading to the lines they took the year before appeared blocked by trees. If you know it really well...maybe have at it...but it just didnt look worth it to our group. I would look into more beta from someone that knows more than I do.

·
Registered
846 Posts
hey todd, could you elaborate on the wood situation in the inner? new wood making it unrunnable/marginally runnable but scary. . . or new wood that is possible to get around? Any info would be great, was thinking of heading up this weekend, but only if the inner is good to go. Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yo Wood Boy

Hey man,
We are heading up there tomorrow and I want to know where the new wood is. Did yor guide specify the names of the drops with wood leading up to them?? I am just trying to compare it to last year. The only substantial tree was just after Zoot. A root ball w/ log almost all the way across the right hand side of the george. let me know what you guys saw. I don't want to wast gas money if the george is totally F'D
Thanks for the reply!
Alex

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To answer my own question after going in on Thursday....

The small left eddy above Pine Tree is not blocked...just the far left channel above it. We looked at ferrying over to that riv left eddy from river right and putting in above the second drop (runnable with some sticks kinda in the way of the entrance but no really). If you get pulled out of the back of that eddy or somehow blow it the results would be bad...definitely do not want to be dropping off the top drop in Pine.

We portaged Pine river right. For one guy in our group it was no problem to just walk it with boat on shoulder (with a few small slips). For most it was scary (the footing is pretty marginal and if you fall it's not good) and we had to set up some rope systems to rope boats accross (along the hillside). That 100 ft walk was definitely the crux of the run for us.

No report on the inner from our group unfortunately....by the time we got there it was 7pm, close to 400 cfs....a little high for my wimpy-ass. Wanna go back next week and get 'er though so if anyone has anything to report from down there (looked fine from the to aside from the river right wood in that third or so drop down from Zute which can apparently be run far left or portaged left) let us know.

·
Boof it like you stole it
86 Posts
Meng, are you heading up either Tues, Wed, or Thurs? Let the wife and I know if you're cruisin' thru carBonedale, I'd love to go hit it up with you guys again! DK

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DK-
Not sure what my days off are yet next week but I will definitely let you know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ran it today and it was all good to go! There is a little new wood in the inner to watch out for in the drop above the last two stickt holes. It wasn't much of a problem though.

·
clark
41 Posts
How much more time for the gorge??? I'm coming back home to CO from cali and am hoping the crystal will still be in when we get there around the 29th/30th. does it have another 9-12 days of water left???

Hope all is well,
Clark

970-390-7191

1 - 11 of 11 Posts