Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Yup, we started this at the end of the picture thread...

I'm into it and would be happy to head it up. I like these sorts of projects. Someone asked why not a 2012 calendar instead of 2013 and to me, 2012 is not realistic, but 2013 provides for all kinds of time do it up right.

Falling up started the fb page so seems the ball is rolling....

I thought i could spend some time on it over my winter break.
Its a swell idea.

·
Registered
261 Posts
All feedback on this should be directed on this thread from now on. Yeti's rant on photo posting has indeed turned into a train wreck.

2013 would be the only way to make it work as Ednaout as suggested.

I will gladly help out as much as possible. I think that the buzz should be on board. It will make a huge difference in participation as well a financial success. When its all said and done, I want to be able to hand over a sizable check to the charity of choice.

As Carvedog said in the previous thread..There can only be one Buzz calendar. Let this be it!

·
Registered
288 Posts
So my only interest in this calender is to raise money for F.D. But I am still questioning why wait till 2013. F.D. needs and could use the money in 2012 and then the calender could be done in 2013 as well to raise more money. It doesnt take 14 months to create a calender! With the 5 minutes of research here is the timeline I see.

55 days until the first of the year
10 days for photo submission
10 days for voting on the photos
3-5 days for Dana to design the calender if he is willing
4-8 days for printing per Gotprint.com
1-2 days to ship to most M.B. purchasers.
That puts calenders in hand around Christmas time!

Cost per calender is about $6 say you get 250 made total cost $1500 sell them for $20 total sales would be if you sold them all would be $5000 then profit would be around $3000 after all the fees for setting up a non for profit business.

I dont know about everyone else but it would be pretty cool to be able to send a check to F.D. in 2012 instead of waiting till 2013. If you dont think you can make it happen put me in charge and it will happen!

·
So why not let ecarlson crank one out for 2012 and ednaout could focus on one for 2013.

Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Who's putting up the startup $? Seems like that is what will drive the timeline.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You cant just "crank" one out unless you want it to suck.
It has to be done right or it will be waste of time and money.

Besides, the one for 2013 will have female paddlers in the nude...wouldnt you all want to wait for that??

·
Registered
288 Posts
Who's putting up the startup $? Seems like that is what will drive the timeline.
That was the question I was going to ask next. Myself nor my company Breck Adventure tours can not front the money. We are in the middle of buying another rafting company so we can be on the Ark next year.

I am willing to do all the work but can not put any money towards the startup cost! I would guess if we did 250 calenders around $2000.

One other thought we may be able to sell some advertising in the calender to help cover the cost. Probably not rafting companys but maybe CKS, Ten Mile, Confluence etc! 12 months 1 per page $100 or $150 would almost cover the cost!

Who likes to cold call?

·
Registered
966 Posts
55 days until the first of the year
10 days for photo submission
10 days for voting on the photos
3-5 days for Dana to design the calender if he is willing
4-8 days for printing per Gotprint.com
1-2 days to ship to most M.B. purchasers.
That puts calenders in hand around Christmas time!
If you have the time to devote to do a sweet project like this, get someone to front the money, sell advertising, ship it off, then ship 'em out, by all means - have at it. Unfortunately, I do not, realistically, thus the 2013 suggestion. I think it would be a pity to take a great idea and throw anything less than 100% into it. I will have much more time this spring to devote some quality attention to it - and certainly have it done in time to sell to the masses at events like, oh....let's say....BAILEY FEST 2012!!! and other venues.

If you want to try to get it together for 2012, I can't offer much support. If I had the time, I would, but nursing school would burry me if I tried.

·
Registered
261 Posts
That was the question I was going to ask next. Myself nor my company Breck Adventure tours can not front the money. We are in the middle of buying another rafting company so we can be on the Ark next year.

I am willing to do all the work but can not put any money towards the startup cost! I would guess if we did 250 calenders around $2000.

One other thought we may be able to sell some advertising in the calender to help cover the cost. Probably not rafting companys but maybe CKS, Ten Mile, Confluence etc! 12 months 1 per page $100 or $150 would almost cover the cost!

Who likes to cold call?
First off Eric, Its obvious that you are jumping on the bandwagon simply to promote your business or you're unemployed. Probably both.

Second off, you would not be a good fit to "take over" this project. Your own website is full of badly written copy, grammer mistakes and typos. Lets not forget the 5000 business cards you had printed with the word "breckenridge" mispelled. I am not just being rude because you are an ex and I dont like you (ok, I am). But this is a really cool idea and should be done right. A lot of people could benefit from the money and the mountain buzz community would have something that was one of a kind.

Promoting at Baileyfest, FIBArk, Animas River Days, etc would be great, as would be getting paddlers featured in the calendar to sign their photo.

As far as start up money. If you had enough time, you wouldnt need much. Yes, ads could be sold etc. But if we worked hard we could get almost everything for free or at cost. Would we send them overseas to be printed? Probably not, I think enough buzzards do care about that and would step up to offer their connections or services for this worthy cause.

Edna and I have stepped forward to make this happen. The more people that can help out the better; but we all need to have the common goal of making it happen together as a group.

I agree 100% with Ednaouts previous post. It would truly be a disapointment to all.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Whoa. :confused: Where's all the hostility coming from? Oh, I get it...it's seeping in from the rafter vs kayaker F#*%$ thread! :p !!! LOL. Okay, now I've used 2 emoticons and an "LOL," the mood should be sufficiently lightened.
I was serious when I said if someone wants to get it together for 2012 to go ahead and run with it, I just can't devote any quality time, in that short of a time. If that came off as negative or hostile, I apologize, that was not my intention This idea started as a fun idea and should really remain just that. If we get it organized in a fashion that can provide for raising money for an organization, even better.
Let's get back to some of the funny thoughts that were being tossed around peppered with some quality shit talking about how kayaking is by far superior to rafting...or wait is it the other way around... :twisted: Oh dear, that's 3 emoticon faces I've used...

Beth

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
I like the thought of a "Buzz" calendar, I would likely purchase one.....
just an idea, look to the Mountain Buzz gallery. There are literally thousands of super high quality awesome shots, going back all the way to 2003, on this site already. Plus every one of the gallery photos was submitted to the "Buzz" by a forum user. How about making some kind of a poll as to what the best photos in the whole gallery are, and using them in a calendar?

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
First of all, there is no way this will ever happen. There has been a thread for Mountain Buzz stickers going for years now, and guess what, no stickers. I can't wait for the part where the rafters and kayakers vote on which photos to use.

Second of all, you people made a Facebook page where you can discuss the boating discussions that you have on Mountain Buzz? Really?

Stupid kayakers. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts