Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I new to rafting,tried on small river with kids and they liked.I want to buy a raft for paddling have 2 choices available :
1. Achilles RV Self-Bailing Raft 11'long(15"tubes) 2008 new not used display boat with 4 paddles, pump,303, rope for $2000 at discount because it display the new in the box is $3300
2.NRS Otter 120 Self-Bailing Raft(17" tubes) new for $2700-2800 and need to buy paddles, pumps, 303 (+ $200)
We sit comfortably in both raft the main issue is height of the tubes and money.WE will ran class 2 and some 3 for now because the youngest son 6 years old.any advice appreciated.wife saying 15" tubes to shallow but boat is well made and less money.any help please.:confused:and i looking for hypolon because i need to roll it for storage

·
Registered
21 Posts
Otter boat

Go with the Otter. The comfort of the larger tubes will definitely pay for itself. Plus it's a well made boat and will last you 20 years. Think long term, kids will get bigger and have bigger friends, etc. you won't be disappointed. Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go with the NRS - the foot and tube size makes a huge difference. Your re-sale value of the NRS will be much better if you want to upgrade in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Jared
734 Posts
Raft, clubs, people

I boat with the Oregon Whitewater Association sometimes, (I'm a member) and I have a group of friends I go with. We raft with a 14' Sotar ST with our two kids who are 6 and 4 currently. They have 2 seasons under their belts. I've been boating since I was ten. Rafting with kids that young is a new experience to me. Even though I have been going for many years, I don't consider myself an expert. I'd rather keep my mouth shut and learn more that way.
So my usual haunts are the Sandy, upper and lower Clack, and the North Santiam. If you are rafting with kids on local day trips, you will most likely become very familiar with the Lower Clackamas and North Santiam.
If you are intending on paddling only or just doing day trips, I think a 12-13 foot raft with 3 thwarts is ideal. Our Sotar is a our one raft, so I take it on overnighters with a frame, paddle it throughout the year, or row whenever I feel like rowing. If you plan on rowing with 3-4 people, a 12-13 foot raft will feel small. Also, did you see that Hyside for sale on CL for 2000? Its a narrow raft with 3 thwarts, it would make a great paddle raft.
Also, my name is Jared. If you are looking for other people with families in the Portland area to paddle with, pm me and I can give you more of my contact information. I paddle year round. My 6 year old has been on the rivers mentioned above, and the Deschutes through Maupin, and the Mckenzie. We spend most of our summer on the North Santaim. (Damn controlled, always enough water) Our club has an excellent, affordable river rescue course coming up this spring, and a wilderness first aid class in the fall. They are both very affordable, if you are new to this sport I'd recommend enrolling in the club and at least enroll in the river rescue course. It is a great way to meet new paddling buddies too.

·
Registered
787 Posts
You did not mention the type of floating you are planning on doing. If it is just day trips, the otter is good for 4-5 passengers and I think it would be your best bet. If you are considering any overnight camping trips I would suggest you go with something a little larger, even getting a 13 foot would be more comfortable on overnights. I consider a 14 foot as the jack of all trades boat size.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I new to rafting,tried on small river with kids and they liked.I want to buy a raft for paddling have 2 choices available :
1. Achilles RV Self-Bailing Raft 11'long(15"tubes) 2008 new not used display boat with 4 paddles, pump,303, rope for $2000 at discount because it display the new in the box is $3300
2.NRS Otter 120 Self-Bailing Raft(17" tubes) new for $2700-2800 and need to buy paddles, pumps, 303 (+ $200)
We sit comfortably in both raft the main issue is height of the tubes and money.WE will ran class 2 and some 3 for now because the youngest son 6 years old.any advice appreciated.wife saying 15" tubes to shallow but boat is well made and less money.any help please.:confused:and i looking for hypolon because i need to roll it for storage
I sold my 13 foot boat because it was too small for my family of four and went 15'. I would wonder what your intended use really is as well. All day runs, 12' will work but will not be as flexible if you're looking to get onto longer trips. 11' with 15" tubes=really small.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If those are your only two choices go with the otter. If all your going to do is paddle rafting, the 120 should be fine, but you didn't mention how big your family is so that is just a guess.

·
Registered
555 Posts
11 footer way too small for a self supported multi-day trip, the 17' is about right. Even if you think you won't need to do a 4 day trip now you certainly will in the future.

Make sure you consider ALL of what it takes to do a trip, not just the rubber and frame. You will also need oars, PFD's, safety gear, spares, pump, ropes, carbiners, lots of cam straps, dry bags, cooler, dry box, cargo bags, sitting pads etc. Perhaps even a trailer. The cost of accessories is significant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am new to rafting,tried on small river with kids and they liked.I want to buy a raft for paddling have 2 choices available :

Thank you guys for the advise.My family is 5 people. Oldest is 12 then 9 and 6 years old. We planing day trips only for now but who know what can be in the future.12' hypolon raft my choice because i need to roll up raft for storage and i was thinking that maybe rolled raft will fit in my Honda accord for some occasional quick trips.but i also have a small trailer to carry rolled raft and extra staff if i need too.I appreciated all advises.thank you all.If some one has any more suggestions you can send i will read i still have time till spring before i buy a raft .:-D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NRS has used Pennel's "Orca" material that has hypalon coating is this still considered hypalon raft and can it be rolled up for storage like Achilles rafts.

·
Jared
734 Posts
I wouldn't go smaller than a 13 if there are 5 of you, especially with those ages of kids. Look to something with 3 thwarts and some space. Most 12's are much narrower and if you all average out to 100 lbs each, that is 500 lbs of people. Then ad some lunch and gear, and you are looking at 550-600 lbs. What if you kids want to bring a friend? Are you going to have space? Smaller rafts with a smaller footprint can handle the weight, but the raft will be drafting more water. If this is your summer family boat, that means low water in most cases. A larger boat will draft less water.
One thing I like about my Sotar (there are things I don't like, I'm not in love with my boat) is that it is so damn light, and it drafts hardly any water when we paddle. My wife and I can paddle it with some "help" from the kids with no issues. My Dad has a Riken Pioneer that is a 12'8" long self bailer, and it's a great size paddle raft. It is the same width as a 13' raft, just a few inches shorter. It is getting hard to find used Rikens, they have been out of production for over ten years now. His boat was made in 1996, and is still in fantastic shape.

·
Registered
205 Posts
With the choices given, the otter. But when I looked on CL earlier this week there were 2 or 3 hypalon rafts 13-14 ft in the $2000 range for sale in Oregon. I personally would also go min of 13' or up to 14'. Your family (and their friends) are going to grow in size and you are probably going to eventually extend your trips and want to carry some more gear. I can still roll up my 14' hypalon boat and fit in my passenger car.

Plus many of the Western Cascade rivers will be higher in the late spring and early summer, and something bigger than 12' will be more stable if you want to run the rivers then. Plus the slightly bigger range of boat will have 18-20" tubes. Trust me, if your wife doesn't feel like she is always having to worry about the kids falling out she will relax a little more and enjoy herself more.

·
Registered
462 Posts
With 5 people there is no way I'd go smaller than 14ft....I rarely take more than 4 in mine and usually have a ducky with us when we do. I don't even want more than 3 people in my 12 footer.

There's three 16 foot haypalon boats (2 NRS and one Avon) in Fayetteville wv on the NRS gearswap for $1500 to $2000....they've been there for awhile so I'd guess they might come down a little to make up for shipping.

·
Registered
688 Posts
With 5 people there is no way I'd go smaller than 14ft....I rarely take more than 4 in mine and usually have a ducky with us when we do. I don't even want more than 3 people in my 12 footer.

There's three 16 foot haypalon boats (2 NRS and one Avon) in Fayetteville wv on the NRS gearswap for $1500 to $2000....they've been there for awhile so I'd guess they might come down a little to make up for shipping.
Both those NRS boats have multiple broken baffles in the floor. That Avon looks in decent shape though.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Both those NRS boats have multiple broken baffles in the floor. That Avon looks in decent shape though.
Good eye...I never clicked on them and looked until now. One was pretty sneaky as the way the pic was taken it was hard to see the bulge!
The other was in really bad shape though.

I guess the point is there are some better deals out there for even bigger boats.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
do i need a permit on the upper and lower McKenzie river in Oregon

Hello every one. getting close to buy a raft, have some deals,and some ?.do i need a permit on the upper and lower McKenzie river in Oregon or any other passes, also for N.Santiam, Clackamas,Sandy river and is there any other river close to Portland to raft with the family.thank you.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hello every one. getting close to buy a raft, have some deals,and some ?.do i need a permit on the upper and lower McKenzie river in Oregon or any other passes, also for N.Santiam, Clackamas,Sandy river and is there any other river close to Portland to raft with the family.thank you.
No permits needed for any of the rivers you mentioned. In this area most of the permits are self issue for day trips, the Deschutes and John Day have permits that you need to get in advance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts