Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, today is the day. thinking of getting aire lion 16'. Boat will be gear/beer haulin
2-3 peeps and black lab tops. week long trips,class 3-4 runs. i was going to buy sotar,but they have a 3 month back up. i don't know ? so i'm down to a nrs river cat or the lion.
What do u guys think about the 16'lion ???? she has some big tubes, i think 27".
is this to big ???? maybe i should go for an 14' ?????
any help would be bitchin. I don't know s__t about cats, other than a 14' raft = 16' cat
are the aire boats good ????? few hours till i drop cash !!!!! can't wait anymore. lol thanks buzz
kaya

·
Registered
112 Posts
AIRE is one of the major boat makers for a good reason. They're well made and have an amazing warranty. NRS boats would work too. Neither of those designs are sporty, and are best used to haul. I'm biased towards AIRE personally.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
sporty

no need for fast boat, just beer and gear haulin. aire seems like the best deal,
with there 10 year, and u.s. made. but are the 27" tubes a over kill ???
would i be better off with the 14' lion with 25" tubes ????
2-3 people 3-4 day trips all the time and a few 6-7 day
6-7 day trips would have 2 people on boat, maybe dog

thanks guys

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sounds like you'll need the 16' for load capacity, and I agree with Alpha AIRE boats are great if you did ever puncture a tube they're really easy to repair on the river as long as your zippers aren't full of sand...

·
Registered
828 Posts
i was going to buy sotar,but they have a 3 month back up.
Three months? Have you looked at their stock boats? Sales Hotsheet | SOTAR

Aire makes great boats. I have had three for nearly 20 years. But Ashland is just down the road from SOTAR and that could be handy if you ever need service/modifications. With 27 inch tubes you will sit up high and have to think about your oar geometry a bit when you get your frame and choose oars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sotar

ya they sold the boat i was going the buy 2 hours before i called, bummer.
every time i call the waiting list gets longer and longer. plus for being the best, why don't they give a 10 year ???. they are very nice boats but waiting till end of june maybe longer doesn't sound fun. i've been to sotar's store. also nice if you want tan tubes.
i would wait if this was a play boat. but it's for my man and his dog to carry me and my girlfriends gear, lucky guy
14' big tube cat or 16' ??? sounds like i need the 16'
thanks guys

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hard to go wrong with the 16 foot Aire Lion. Any smaller boat would become a pig with three people, a dog and a week's worth of gear. I have an Aire Jaguarundi, and it's marginal with that kind of load. It's also big enough for that Grand Canyon trip you'll want to do soon.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
How about a 16 X 24 Maravia? No zippers to worry about like on an Aire, made in Boise, and you get a 10 year warranty. On silty rivers the sand vs zipper thing is a big problem. Been there ...... done that...... not fun. Also, I've always wondered if the people who say Aire boats are so easy to repair have actually repaired a tube on river???? I've helped with a few repairs, and it wasn't what I'd call easy by any means.

·
Registered
398 Posts
What she said, (cataraftgirl) I have to agree. Hard to beat for do it all size cat. I've owned three and never had to repair one. 16x24 for sure.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Here is why I'm an AIRE fan: A Middle Fork blast & cast trip mid September a few years back was much easier (in my opinion) because we were using my cousin's AIRE rafts. 3 days into the trip we had a negligent discharge of a shotgun into the front corner of the floor. We were a few miles from camp and pushed on. The next morning we fixed the inner bladder and were done start to finish in a couple hours - and none of us in the group had previously repaired any raft. On the same trip a different AIRE raft ended up with a 12 inch tear on the bottom of a side tube - but no damage to the bladder. We noticed it around mid day and repaired it the next morning in camp by simply sewing up the outside with thread/needle in the repair kit. A month or so later both rafts were taken back to AIRE to have them sewn up professionally - at no cost.

No affiliation to AIRE, just a fan of their inflatables.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
With a non-Aire boat you could have fixed that first hole in about 30 minutes, without having to unzip anything, or get to an inner bladder. I currently own an Aire, a Maravia, and have owned a Jack's Plastic in the past. The Aire is definitely the hardest to fix, especially if you have any grit or sand in the zippers. In Utah, it's almost impossible to keep sand out of the zippers. Also, the fine sand goes through the zippers and rubs micro holes in your bladders.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts