Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a beginner/ intermediate paddler on whitewater (started 2 seasons ago). I had a Dagger Gtx but unfortunately I was too hard on her (some gnarly class IV swims) and now she's down for the count. I've been looking at buying a new boat, and it has come to my attention that a friend of mine is selling his Pyrannha Ammo for $450. Question is, is this a good boat for an intermediate river runner? I do mostly whitewater (class II-IV, but would love a V in the future) and don't really do much playboating. I was looking around for a creek boat, but I don't have the money to spend on one right now. Thoughts? Opinions?

The boat is in great shape, and 3 years old.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I was super duper interested in getting an Ammo- it looks like a super duper fun boat... I'd probably still get one if I had the money and the opportunity to get one... but the timing was wrong and I ended up getting a Burn that I think I'll enjoy just as much.
That being said, I haven't actually paddled either yet.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I looked at getting an Ammo once too. Tried it out, but it just didn't really feel right. It's not a playboat and yet I didn't find it stable at all. I'd think that $450 would be a little pricy for that boat unless you got a paddle and all the gear that came with it too. But that's just me, I know several folks who have liked them.

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
I paddled a small ammo for years, and it was great for downriver play and technical, low flow boating, but I put a hole in it and replaced it with a medium burn. $450 is too much. $350 is a fair price if its in descent shape.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Seriously, ... just buy a JK Karma. You won't regret it at all. There are some on the swap. Small is good up to 155 lbs. Medium if over that and/or planning to do multi-day trips. https://www.riversports.com/blog/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Seriously, ... just buy a JK Karma. You won't regret it at all. There are some on the swap. Small is good up to 155 lbs. Medium if over that and/or planning to do multi-day trips. https://www.riversports.com/blog/
Never fails! Did you even read his first post?

As to the OP keep your eyes open for a used river runner / creeker that has been manufactured in the past 5 years and you'll be fine. I picked up a used Nomad in Denver for under $500 when I was there in December. Just be patient if you are looking to save money. Keep looking on here and Craigslist, you will find something!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.