• I'd pay up to $500 per year

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Thinking about starting a business and wanted to see what you all thought. The basic gist: An outdoor gear rental shop where you can sign up for a membership and get unlimited rentals, but just 1 rental at a time (kind of like netflix). The idea would be to have a variety of outdoor gear- bikes, SUPs, kayaks, rafts, camping gear, etc.- that people would have access to on a regular basis, but wouldn't have to invest the high dollar amount involved in getting into a sport like cycling, whitewater kayaking, etc. There would be an emphasis, though not entirely, on gear that would be able to be transported with a typical car (i.e. inflatable kayaks, small rafts, inflatable SUPs, bike racks for rent too). Members would also have ongoing access to the latest gear as the idea would be to replenish some of the inventory each year so that even if you have your own equipment you could still be trying new sweet bikes or that expensive yeti cooler without breaking the bank. You could also try out some things before committing to buy them. Question for you all- would you become a member? If so, at what price? My initial thought on price is $379 per year...

Assuming the inventory would include nice mt bikes (full suspension and hard tail, yeti, santa cruz, etc.), whitewater kayaks (dagger, liquid logic, etc.), SUPs, rafts and inflatable kayaks (AIRE, NRS, etc.), and so on...

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think since you would need a open to the public retail space for the pick up/drop off that you would have to do regular rentals too and offer the "Netflix" plan as an option. Unlike Netflix, you would need that more expensive retail spot as shipping or home delivery/pick up costs would crush you in a heartbeat. Also, unlike Netflix you would need some very heavy duty fraud/ collections backing you up since these items are very spendy, not a $5 dvd easily written off. Also, what happens when they crack/lose your $1100 kayak after a swim, ect?

Also, at least in Denver, there are already established shops that rent /demo allot of what you listed too. It's not a competition free idea, for sure.

Anyway, just a couple very quick thoughts.

Personally, I would not use it but I'm just not a fan of renting gear and it's hassles.

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
CKS does a summer rental card. This was the first year, and I don't know how it went, but that could be a good barometer for you. On the front range I am inclined to think a tube rental business would do better...

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think the yearly cost is to low. For $380 I have an inflatable kayak or raft for 7 months and the newest skis for the winter?
I like the concept and I think it would be well received. Half the threads lately are what boat should I get I can't haul it, I can't store it, but need it for all situations. This would be a great solution for many. I think you would need lots of members that pay but don't use, much like gym memberships. Anyway I definitely like the idea and wish you luck.

Jim

·
Registered
37 Posts
There's a backpacking company in Breck that did this. With backpacking gear of course. They're wonderful people and I'm sure they would give you some info as to how membership sales went and whatnot. It's called Beyond Backpacking. I know especially for tourists to the area, they did well with sales. And I think your said business could definitely attract a ton of tourists who do not have the room or funds to bring all their gear with them. Best of luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts