Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took an old schools set of NRS towers that had 5/8" hole and drilled it to 7/8 all except the last 1/8 in the bottom and inserted a piece of 3/4 pex waterline. That stuff is tough. It made a nice bushing and eliminated the noise. Plus if it wears out it can be replaced in about 10 seconds.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, I'm guessing if you used a spring and lynch pin with a washer on top and bottom to sandwich the tubing it would work.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They stay in place. Do not drill all the way through the oar tower. I stopped about 1/8" from going through, this keeps it from falling out the bottom. Springs will hold them in. I left about 1/8 sticking up to keep oarlock from rubbing top of tower. I only have one trip on them through New River Gorge but they seem to be great.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Pex is able to handle higher temperatures (aka hot water) than conventional PE (only cold water) so it should handle the friction built up heat from repeated rowing. Did you use Type A, B, or C Pex (All Pex's meet the same criteria but they are all made slightly differently)? A is the best and would look equivalent to your average bushing and would probably stand up the best. I'm also curious how a 1/2" wirsbo/uponor ring would stand up (used for their Pex system) size wise to the 5/8" oar lock shaft. I'm gonna try later today lol.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just happened to have some left over from a home project. I was building a play frame for my cataraft and built the oar towers. I drilled out some pipe to 7/8 and used the red pex from Lowes because it was what I had. Then it worked pretty well so I drilled out a cast set of nrs towers and it worked good in them. You have to be careful drilling the aluminum because it lets the drill walk. Make sure it is braced and use a drill press. Or use a 27/32 bit in stead of 7/8. I used 7/8. If your pex does not fit tight you could wrap it with electrical tape and that would fix everything. 27/32 bit is hard to come buy. Do not drill all the way through. Leave 1/8" or so in the bottom. Leave the pex long and your oar lock will ride on it and not the aluminum tower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts