Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all! I'm looking into getting the new Burn and am having trouble deciding what the best size for me would be. Currently paddling a medium Burn 2 and loving it, but they changed up the sizing a bit. I'm 5'10" and 160lbs so I'm hitting right at the higher end of the medium and the very beginning of the large recommended weights. I've been cruising a few forums and getting a bit of contradictory opinions. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
67 Posts
Depends

I've been paddling a Burn III (Medium) for a few months now. I'm 6'0" 135-140lbs, and I absolutely love this boat!

It looks like the weight range for the medium is about 115-175, with 145 then being the center. I think at your height and weight you could go either way, and that it will depend a bit on how you want it to behave, and how you intend to use it. If you want it to be more stable, but a bit less responsive, and want to use it for multi-days with lots of gear, go Large for sure. If you want a more playful and responsive ride for river running, go Medium. I remember reading a review from overseas talking about it being better to be above the center of the weight range to be able to fully engage the edges. I haven't notice a problem for me there, but when I paddle my wife's Karma S I do notice how much easier it is to get that boat on edge compared to my wider and flatter Burn. (That Karma S is like a race car!)

I met a guy at this year's North Fork Championships who was about your weight and was paddling an XL. He told me he had been in a Large first, but thought the XL was way better. He tried to convince me to go Large, but I think Medium is perfect for my size and intended use. To each his own!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey y'all! I'm looking into getting the new Burn and am having trouble deciding what the best size for me would be. Currently paddling a medium Burn 2 and loving it, but they changed up the sizing a bit. I'm 5'10" and 160lbs so I'm hitting right at the higher end of the medium and the very beginning of the large recommended weights. I've been cruising a few forums and getting a bit of contradictory opinions. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
I am the exact size and weight as you are, and was told by our local kayak shop that I should be in a large with the new Burn 3's. That said, I have paddled in a medium and found I liked it quite a bit. I normally paddle an older Burn Medium.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm 5'11" and ~145 and paddle the Medium. I love it and don't feel as though I would need any more volume. I would possible get a large if I planned to use it for multi day trips often, even then the medium would do.
My 2¢...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts