Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Shapp
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bullet Watercraft :: The Bullet Story

Another new company to provide glued PVC boats for all at affordable costs.

I like competition and hummor, both of which are provided by this company's website, news to me that Avon is now a cheaper alternative than NRS. And it is hardly a comparison to talk about sotar PVC boats in the same breath as star or Vangaurd in terms of craftsmanship, construction technique, country of origin, or age of business, etc. The big issue is D-rings and handles?

There is some funny stuff on there in what is said, and in what is ommitted.

I assume these boats are built overseas too.

Good luck to all, purchasers and company in this new endever.

·
Registered
193 Posts
what would a new raft line be without shap to attack it. guy must own stock in aire or somthin

·
Shapp
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a curious conclusion as I din't mention aire, and made no attack at all, just thought the website was funny. What part was attacking? If anything I posted a link for possible customers to become aware.

·
Shapp
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And what attacks have been made to other dealers? if you mean pointing out complete product mis-representation then I have discussed that re the Boise Saturn dealer only. If you might notice the other prominent saturn dealer has decided a complete re-vamp and beef up of the "puncture proof" fabric is now warranted.

Disclaimer: I am in no way trying to compare Bullet to Saturn or start another saturn thread.

What I would really like to see is someone start really thinking out of the box regarding new raft products, something like the dude with the machine shop is doing to interesting frame fitting design, not just repeating the same old ideas (lets get someone in China to glue us up some cheap PVC boats with minor tweaks to the competition).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks from Bullet Watercraft for spreading the word about our boats! We understand that we're young and new and have to earn your respect in the boating community- we're working hard to do that. We're launching a blog that includes trip reports and video on many great stretches of river, from creeks to multi-day trips. Our blog will showcase what our boats have run, where they can be seen, as well as new features, innovations, and deals:

www.bulletwatercraft.com/blog

Our boats are receiving great reviews and next year's models come out every August. One of our biggest innovations for 2011 is streamlining a supply-chain that creates made-to-order boats and allows customers to choose:
- color
- material
- thwart attachment style
- whether to attach a rub-strake
all free of charge. In speaking with outfitters and private boaters, it seems everyone has slightly different preferences as to what they want- so Bullet has decided to give the customers the flexibility of choosing these features, while still offering some of the most affordable boats in the industry.

You can learn more about our "Fine Lookin' Boats for Everyone" at:

Bullet Watercraft :: Commercial Grade Inflatable Rafts for Boaters with Personality

You can also find us on Facebook and Twitter, though you'd probably have more fun just getting out on the water :)

·
Jared
733 Posts
Bullet

I see a company has a 12 foot in "Rockstar" for sale in Portland, do you know about it? It's a demo boat, I'd like to see one. What is the Bullet story, where are they built? Are they glued? What are the seems like?

·
Registered
351 Posts
handlebar, what kinda water would it be used in... What kind of range of water would typically / potentially be a response area...

class
volume
river name / area
flood plane?

·
Registered
41 Posts
most of our range of water conditions will be flooded rivers with probably class 2&3 current but with extremely large volumes of water with water up in the trees, allthough we were in OKLA. City back in June rescueing in the residentual areas, need something versitale and portable we have a 16' Zodiac type raft with a 35hp outboard but can't allways get the trailer to the water.

·
Jared
733 Posts
As with many of us, a glued PVC boat is the issue. I know even Sotar has had problems with material de-laminating and pinhole leaks, and they have a pretty badass weld technique. I am wondering if there is a glue seam that will have the same strength as a welded seam like a Sotar or even Aire?
I know Hypalon boats are welded and can last a long, long time, but that material is a different matter. I like the PVC material in general. I'm a pretty big fan of Aire and Sotar, having owned one and paddled the other. I've had the most experience in Rikens, as my Dad has a 13 year old Pioneer and the first WW raft I rode in at the ripe old age of 9 was a 1987 Riken self bailer. That raft is still being used to do overnight trips!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I like the sound of the 13 year old raft still going strong, I don't know a whole lot about any of them, thats why I wanted some of you guys that know and that have used several different kinds to give me some advice. I need something that will hold up and take some abuse. Using it as a rescue raft, we may be going over rocks and trees one day and flooded asphalt the next, thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
If you're going to be using it as a rescue raft, I'd suggest looking at the Aire boats. The one defining difference between the Airecell system and other boats is that the bladder configuration lets you repair a tear or a puncture very quickly, rather than to have to set glue & wait. YouTube - AIRE Tape Repair
Plus they have a long warranty (10 years). The downside if that the boats are on the heavier side; but since you have a team and it'll be a 12' to 14' boat, I don't think that's an issue. Call them to see if they offer a discount to rescue groups - I've been very impressed with Aire customer service.

I think cheap boats have their place - I may pick up one of these inexpensive 12 footers eventually to take the kids paddle rafting (rather than on my Aire 156), and a smaller investment for light use is a good trade-off.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sounds like you have big water and flooded trailer parks covered with the 16'er... If you are looking for something light and fast I would consider a 12' or 13' boat, and if it is an agency buying go with a quality boat.. look into Avon or Hyside. This size is very maneuverable and very versatile.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks guys, I will be getting in touch with these companys to see what they have and maybe I can get a demo or a price break, money is tight right now in the fire and rescue world, spending it all on the Afgan's I guess.

·
Registered
556 Posts
try jacks plastic welding. they have made alot of custom boats for rescue applications. they are usually pretty interested in projects like that.

i'd suggest a small, straight tube (no rocker), cat. easier to scoop a pt, load a backboard, and easier to mount an outboard.

·
Registered
41 Posts
what is the diference between glued and welded, which is better or less apt to give me problems, I don't know much about either one.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts