Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Budweiser American Ale
As you can see on this website (after you put your age in of course) EJ has a very cool thing going on that will hopefully benefit ww kayaking as a whole. I am sure there are many who will disagree (everyone has their opinion about beer), but bottom line you are going to start seeing ww kayaking in mainstream advertising and that is a heck of a start as of late.

There is a very cool video that they did. Click Eric Jackson, Gallery, Photos, and then on the right is the video... Great music too!

The 2010 season is just starting it's first morning yawn... Soon we'll be hit'n it hard.

Fire it up!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nice Craw, thanks for sharing that. I agree that our sport and industry could use some mainstream attention and avenues like this are a huge benefit. I know whitewater kayaking is not for everyone and that beers are best at the takeout, but just making folks aware of our sport as a rec opportunity is huge.

The video is pretty cool too!

later,

Bryan

·
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
1,134 Posts
Hey Craw, I just did a marketing report based exclusively on the print ad someone posted here in January (the one with EJ and Clay holding American Ale's). I was writing on the ad effectiveness from the Budweiser perspective. I liked it. A lot, actually. Although it's arguable that EJ might derive more positive exposure from it than Budweiser...

·
Registered
929 Posts
Uh, I drink beer for my take out beers. Budweiser is what I drink to stay hydrated.

However thanks to the Bud plant in Fort Collins for keeping people employed. For that I salute you and people with bad taste. It could be worse, it could be Miller Lite.

Is this exposure going to make kayaks cheaper? Is it going to open up more waterways? Is it going to make kayaking safer? If so then great. If it just lines EJ's pockets and get him exposure, then great for him, congrats on making it and he worked hard to get there, but meh in the end for me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey craw man,

Great video Who's the blond I have not seen her on the river. How come EJ only got one blond usually they are dropping out of planes by the dozen in bud videos.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah,who's the blonde? Probably turn out to be just another shredder.

Hey, speaking of alcohol, you know that thing that closes off your windpipe when you first drown, so if your buds get you out in 3-4 minutes and breathe for you you cough and come back to life without water in your lungs?

Well, it doesn't work if you have alcohol in you. at all. Thats why alcohol is involved with 50% of drownings. I don't know what the actuall BAC level where it stops working, but its pretty low.

FWIW

·
Registered
9 Posts
In my opinion this will do nothing to ¨mainstream¨the sport of kayaking. If anything it will only glorify the concept of kayaking to a mainstream population. Once Budwieser and the Mainstream realize that kayaking is for the core.......this silly advertising project will all be forgotten, while the rest of us shred the GNAR!!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have doubts that this Bud ad campaign will grow the whitewater kayaking market. Perhaps as Bowen points out a few more poeple might get interested in rec boating. But overall, I think its just a great thing for EJ in the sense of a deserving professional athlete adding some $$ to his income stream. When you link to his blog, its a bit over the top though when the slideshow at the top flashes to say 'the icon', but hell, you shouldn't get judgemental at people for highlighting their talent and sucess I guess (this is my theory about why so many were pissed at Tao back in the day - jealous that he actually 'made it').

I personally think over marketing and glamorization of pro athletes totally cheapens their core appeal - take Shaun White and Lindsay Vaunn - they are getting so hyped in such a toolbox mainstream way its hard to keep respect going - at least for me, the core audience. Its kinda like when religious people wear "jesus is my bro' t shirts and stuff like that - it cheapens and diminishes a message that doesn't even need to be shared or advertized. I guess its not about marketing to the core audience though, its about appealing to the average joe American audience. Good on 'em I guess.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Just to clarify - I am not hating on or judging anyone's personal religious beliefs. Freedom to believe what you want without judgment or persecution is a principle I stand fully behind. Good ideas Hobie, lol.

·
1,134 Posts
Just to clarify - I am not hating on or judging anyone's personal religious beliefs. Freedom to believe what you want without judgment or persecution is a principle I stand fully behind. Good ideas Hobie, lol.
I understood the belief points.

What I don't understand based on your comments is whether you feel that boaters like me, who are happy running 3s/4s, are welcome in the sport.

I really don't get it with some branch of kayakers, and I'm not saying you're one of them, I'm just trying to understand something about this sport. One of the reasons I love it is because the greatest boaters always made me feel good about my relationship to the sport. Not to namedrop, but I've boated in clinics with Hilleke, Grace, Wright, EJ, Nikki Kelly, and other great people who are by far better than I even aim to be.

Maybe it's just some on the buzz. But you know, if I'm a drag on your concept of what kayaking SHOULD be, let me know, and maybe I'll get out of it.

Why would you care if Sean White and Lindsey Vonn are hyped? How does that cheapen them? It's not like they're has-beens!

The more people you get to run Class III, the more who will run IVs (and the more Vs). Thus, the more improvements you will get in boats and gear, and safety.

The more people you get to run Class III, the more conservation awarenesss you generate. The more money spent on boating, the more political power you generate. In my estimation, kayaking needs awareness and political power (and the ability to project it) more than anything else, because the majority of people don't give a rat's ass about water conservation, they want their green grass and 10-minute showers and to hose off their driveway rather than sweep it.

Linking EJ and Budweiser improves kayaking awareness. Ultimately, you want kayaking to be a brand that people have associations to. Like spring and summer take-out beers. Like watching someone get their first combat roll. Whether or not its successful over a long haul depends on many factors, but linking EJ and Budweiser could be a great development for river sports and water conservation. And awareness of those things will benefity you as a kayaker.

The best playboating day I ever had was a day at a clinic with EJ in Pueblo's park, me front-surfing (because that's about all I can do) a wave with EJ on my right being EJ. He hooted and hollered and made me feel like he was happy to be there with me, and that I was doing well. That photo Budweiser photo of EJ reminds me of that day, and that's a pretty strong marketing association (more for EJ than Bud) and the ad campaign raised my awareness of American Ale, and I'll try some soon. (I guess I'll report back on it). And I'm a beer snob.

·
Registered
790 Posts
What I don't understand based on your comments is whether you feel that boaters like me, who are happy running 3s/4s, are welcome in the sport.
In my opinion EVERYONE should be welcome in the sport! I don't know where or why my comments would have led you to believe otherwise. I love that for the most part paddlers are cool to each other regardless of ability level...how it should be. The ONLY goal in kayaking is having fun - on class 1 or class 5...doesn't matter. Per your points lower down, you don't need to explain that stuff to me - I'm all about exposing more people to the sport, supporting a vibrant industry and more supporters of river conservation and access which is why I loved working in the industry and support groups like AW. Thanks for the lecture though (if all of that was directed at me).

Also I dont care if Shaun and Lindsay are hyped - I'm just saying it diminishes their appeal to me PERSONALLY because fake ass bullshit doesn't appeal to me - Shaun's riding speaks volumes to me as a snowboarder, not his Target clothing lines or video games. Of course if I could sell out like that and make a ton of $, I'd do it too so I don't blame them, I just don't buy it.

PS - This brings up one of the areas in which I have the greatest respect and appreciation for EJ and JK - bringing more people into the sport, showing families that paddling can be fun and exposing paddling to a wider audience. Well done.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I for one despise class III boaters and can't stand seeing them in our sport. I believe the struggle for kayaking domination is between the class V boater and the class III boater. All else is meaningless. The class III boaters have inflicted two wounds on the sport of kayaking: lame wave surfing and small balls in the face of big drops. I come to free real kayakers from their shackles.

Honestly, has anyone ever said class III boaters don't belong in this sport? I've never heard this attitude espoused. Seems like people get overly sensitive to people dorking around on the buzz.

Anyway, on the topic at hand, I'm with Meng. It's a bummer that to make a living sports guys have to sell themselves to corporate sponsors but that's reality and I'd surely do the exact the same thing. Unfortunately the general public allows this to happen - these things work, they sell products, and that's why it goes on. I think it only cheapens the athlete if you let it. It doesn't change the skill EJ has, the innovation he's brought to the sport in freestyle moves, equipment design, training/education, or the good attitude that seems to follow him wherever he goes. In fact, it just shows he's also business savvy enough to make a lot of money (hopefully) doing it.

I'm not entirely convinced a deal with Bud is going to revolutionize the kayaking industry, but maybe it will have some impact - time will tell. I wonder if the Budweiser advertising gurus can help improve the Jackson boat names and logos. For such good boats, their names always sounded rather childish and artwork amateurish. Hey, it's easy to be a critic.

·
Registered
790 Posts
THANK YOU KSC for saying what I was trying to say better...sheesh... I gotta remember to not say anything having to do with opinion on this forum - most times I do, I regret it, like right now....

·
1,134 Posts
Meng, don't sell yourself short, your response to me was eloquent and thoughtful. I appreciate it. I didn't mean to lecture anyone. I'm in a marketing class this semester, and enjoying it, so I babble (if you didn't already know that from my Eddy posts).

KSC, you made me laugh (which is hard these days, my dad died a couple weeks ago). I appreciate that as well, very much.

The whole world is out to sell you shiz. Time to relisten to Tool's "Hooker with a Penis" because it's a great song about 'selling out.' I don't care about Shaun White's video games or clothing, but I do pay attention to what boards he rides, and I noticed EJ was wearing an IR drytop (or drysuit), and because I'm looking to buy a new one, that has an impact.

Also a last point: EJ's names are rather marketing genius in the sense that they communicate "fun" to a newb-kayaker. Everyone I know recommends Fun-series boats (among a few other names/manufacturers) to newbs because they're solid for newbs. The name conveys a good image (and stars convey something similar for boaters ready to play-boat)

Anyhow, Menge, sorry if I picked at you. If I was creating that notion that I'm not good enough to be in the sport with the gnar runners, maybe I should double-down on my cognitive-behavioral therapy and deal with some insecurities.

·
Registered
501 Posts
A beer company has to advertise, as does most any company. And, since the demographics of our contry are tending towards people wanting experiences, it is very logical that they would utilize an adventure sport. I'd say they definitely picked the right guy from kayaking. Who else can match his credentials? And JK has to be extatic because it will probably increase the awareness of the brand and further help EJ sell more boats and gear than other companies.

As far as class IV and V whitewater becoming main stream for the masses, I feel it will remain relatively uncrowded out there. I just don't think it kayaking will ever appeal to the mases like skiing does. (I absolutely love the powder days, but a main reason I rank kayaking as my favorite sport is that I dislike crowds.) There is somethng about being able to breathing and be able to stop the intensity that kayaking lacks for many people. I do hope that class I-III sections attract increased users ... and therefore support the equipment manufactures and retailers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts