Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting some 5 gal buckets with gamma lids for food storage and possibly groover. any ideas on how to attach them to the raft? glue some d-rings on?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I used buckett for a while for dry storage. If you take the handle off and cut a part of the handle flange you can run a strap over the lid to make it bomber. I put them either ina drop bag, side of cockpit or low in the stern. Square ones work the best easier to rig

·
Registered
556 Posts
lhowemt made some harness contraptions out of webbing & d rings for just that purpose.

Search 'vittle vaults' here & you might find the thread.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Andy and bax sells some they are webbing stitched as a bucket harness

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You can attach webbing loops with pop rivets. Use a washer on the inside with a dab of silicone. If you don't crank on the loops, they won't leak.

Most dryboxes have the handles, latches, etc. riveted on.

·
Registered
296 Posts
if you have double rails, lay them flat between the rails and one loop strap will hold them in. the poop bucket get held vertically

·
Registered
527 Posts
I use square 4 gal buckets for food and dry goods. I find the square profile packs better into my boat. Since I use an 'everything' bag tie down is not an issue. The snap on lids seem adequate, no problems in 4 years of use. After the food is gone I line the bucket with a trash compactor bag and use it for garbage, glass or recycling.

Here is a link to a source...
Square and Speciality Plastic Buckets Category | Square Pails, Square Buckets and Square Plastic Buckets. | U.S. Plastic Corp.

If I wanted to tie them in I would add some footman loops bolted through the sides and backed with a big fender washer. A dab of silicone under the washer will seal it up. I use this system to tie down my action packer/kitchen box.

Metal Footman Loops

·
Registered
234 Posts
Buckets

Please get a "clean out" toilet! I don't care which one you have, But please don't just shit in a bucket with a bag in it and throw it away in a dumpster!
I'll just say this for all who will post what they think they know.
"POOP" goes in the sewer!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Please get a "clean out" toilet! I don't care which one you have, But please don't just shit in a bucket with a bag in it and throw it away in a dumpster!
I'll just say this for all who will post what they think they know.
"POOP" goes in the sewer!
What about baby diapers?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Now be responsible - these need to be cloth diapers not disposable. The buckets would still be useful then to take them out. HA!

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
We have used the bucket and Gamma Lid groover system for many years. We always empty it at a Scat machine or RV dump. Bags in the dumpster = Bad River Karma.
Here's what we do.....Leave the bail handle on or take it off, whatever you like. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get two heavy duty handles (in the screen door hardware aisle), attach these to the sides of the bucket with screws and neoprene washers inside the bucket. Very sturdy strap points. Never had a problem with leakage.

·
Registered
219 Posts
cataraftgirl said:
We have used the bucket and Gamma Lid groover system for many years. We always empty it at a Scat machine or RV dump. Bags in the dumpster = Bad River Karma.
Here's what we do.....Leave the bail handle on or take it off, whatever you like. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get two heavy duty handles (in the screen door hardware aisle), attach these to the sides of the bucket with screws and neoprene washers inside the bucket. Very sturdy strap points. Never had a problem with leakage.
Whoa whoa whoa...bad river karma? That isn't something you can just throw around here. Do you know where your treated poo goes? Is spraying the sludge as fertilizer better than it spending eternity in a landfill hole? Do you realize it takes a lot of energy to move your poo from the plant to the fields? I'm not suggesting we all poop in a bag and throw it in a ditch, but don't go saying that is bad karma to do so. Do you take your dog's wag bag home every day and put it in the toilet? Millions of diapers and doggy bags go down the road in garbage trucks every day to landfills. It is a luxury that we have in today's world that our poop gets carried away in a pipe and we never see it again. But it doesn't end there. Garbage disposals and toilets create solid waste that then has to be dealt with, and that involves trucking.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Sorry....didn't mean to offend. I'll retract bad river karma. How about "not generally accepted practice." Sorry for the digression folks. Back to the subject at hand.....securing plastic containers in the boat.
Someone mentioned Vittles Vaults. I have also attached a smaller handle to a small Vittles Vault. The side walls aren't as beefy as the plastic buckets, and I feared the handle might pull out if cranked on with a strap. I added a reinforcing metal bar inside the container between the screws. lhowemt is the expert on the Vittles Vaults. She can elaborate further.
Lots of good securement ideas here. I like the milk crate idea.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Before you go through all of this hassle you might want to consider ammo cans. If you drill holes in your beaver boards at the bow/stern you can pre-rig everything with simple loop straps, cover with other gear, and top with a cargo net. The time you would spend customizing what will eventually be a disposable bucket would be much better spent building the beaver boards if you don't have them yet. A little heavier, but bomber and much more secure for trash and waste. Ammo cans, bought in the right location, are about the same price as good buckets and are cheaper than screw-top buckets.

For camp buckets and a pee bucket I'm still looking for that perfect, screw-top, water tight steel bucket. Anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa...bad river karma? That isn't something you can just throw around here. Do you know where your treated poo goes? Is spraying the sludge as fertilizer better than it spending eternity in a landfill hole? Do you realize it takes a lot of energy to move your poo from the plant to the fields? I'm not suggesting we all poop in a bag and throw it in a ditch, but don't go saying that is bad karma to do so. Do you take your dog's wag bag home every day and put it in the toilet? Millions of diapers and doggy bags go down the road in garbage trucks every day to landfills. It is a luxury that we have in today's world that our poop gets carried away in a pipe and we never see it again. But it doesn't end there. Garbage disposals and toilets create solid waste that then has to be dealt with, and that involves trucking.
<sigh> wtf does where legally disposed waste have to do with human feces being disposed of illegally? Stick with the context. I'm sure it is bad Karma to toss your wag bags in the outhouses at WW, or crap in a plastic bag lined ammo can or bucket and then toss them in the dumpster at the takeout. What about the unfortunate folks who have to clean them out? What about the risk of exposing them to disease? If you believe in Karma, then that's where the bad kicks in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm thinking of getting some 5 gal buckets with gamma lids for food storage and possibly groover. any ideas on how to attach them to the raft? glue some d-rings on?
Call Andy & Bax in Portland, OR. They make custom harnesses for 3 and 5 gallon buckets that are awesome. They have sewn-in D-rings and a cam for the lid. I think their about $13.00. I doubt there are pics on their site, but I can send you one of mine if you want.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
clinks said:
Call Andy & Bax in Portland, OR. They make custom harnesses for 3 and 5 gallon buckets that are awesome. They have sewn-in D-rings and a cam for the lid. I think their about $13.00. I doubt there are pics on their site, but I can send you one of mine if you want.
Yeah what he said (that I said). That and they sell gamma lids and all kind of boating and camping gear -- with no sales tax

I hang two buckets off the corners of my frame. One for trash the other for cans

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pasta is right! Please Dispose of properly. I've used those salt and pool chem(wash thoroughly) buckets before. they got screw on lids w/ a ratchet catch. And are a little bit taller than the standard 5 gal. Haven't had any purging issues. And remember rigging is an art not a science. RTF

1 - 20 of 28 Posts