Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Keep it right side up
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's going to be different. But how big is the learning curve going from an old avon bucket boat to a new hyside seflbailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
312 Posts
very steep .... you have to learn how to not have to bail out your boat....

no im just kidding, never actually paddled a standard floor, so im clueless... but I really don't think it should be that big of a difference. not like switching to kayaking.... from what I have heard standard floors may track a little better, and maybe a little more stable especially once filled with water....

I do own a few hysides though and love them!!! think you will too! happy paddling and enjoy your new boat!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
When there's no water in the bucket boat is is slightly better. More responsive, tracks better, and is great in super low water.

Once you get some water in the boat you'll notice the difference, and prefer the self bailer. Unless you're running mostly flat, or some big pool-drop (and maybe even then) you'll prefer the self bailer.

Bucket boats have their place, but mostly a way to get on the water for cheap when you're getting started. If you're tired of bailing and have the $$$ then you'll appreciate the upgrade.

·
Registered
68 Posts
nothing too different

when I made the switch, I was surprised by much better my old Bucket had tracked and stayed in wave trains
I was used to it by the end of the first run though

and I'd never go back

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
You'll have work really hard to break the habit of shouting, "bail!" after you hit a big wave. Then you'll need to resist the urge to stare slackjawed as a foot of water in your boat just disappears on its own.

Like NWO Whiewater says, you'll be used to it by the end of your first run and never consider going back to the bucket boat for whitewater.

Enjoy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts