Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ecstatic to have been invited on my first trip on the Grand Canyon of the Colorado, launching mid-september. I'm planning on rowing my boat without a passenger. My boat is a narrow (6'2") 14' DIB bucket, should I consider having someone hop in my boat to bail on the bigger rapids? I don't mind bailing, but can it safely be done alone?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I bet it could be done, but you will be adding a lot more work for your self. On our trip in 07, me and my friend at the time were riding in a old Avon bathtub. We were both bailing and it was filling up pretty fast.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Ya, bilge pump AND a bucket or 3.

You will learn how to reduce water intake, you will have an appreciation for old school boating, it will be fun, and you will be a better boater for it in the end. Yes it can and has been done for ages, but take advantage of technology and save yourself a shitload of work. If you have an option that removes bailing water from a bucket boat with no passenger, by all means go for it!

BUT, if you can find a suitable passenger to bail and high side for/with you, then you are all set. Remember it is a 3 week trip, having a hand aboard is a good thing both on the water and at camp, not to mention trip prep and breakdown. I do not discourage the solo (in a boat) experience, but just know that it is a lot more work.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks y'all! A canoe style bilge pump would be killer, I'll see what I can dig up on the subject.

The little cat would be a blast, but rowing flat water in the wind sucks on it. Plus I want to be as self sufficient as possible and maybe even carry a little group gear.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I dunno about the grand...but I've run a little bilge in my 12 ft bucket boat easily enough on a very small 12v battery meant for my fish finder. But it's not pushing a ton of water and only used once the floor has leaked enough to warrant it.

Guess this puts you out for the sept camp trip on the New River? I don't blame you one bit...it looks like we may have some schedule changes and might be able to make one work for a different time anyways...

·
Registered
786 Posts
The Grand is set up pretty well for a bucket boat. The rapids are generally short one move rapids with a few exceptions, and there are literally miles of flatwater after all of them. They also ran bucket boats down the grand for many years before self bailing boats were invented. If that's your only option you'll do fine.

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,106 Posts
Ran an 18' Campways bucket through the grand, was alone most of the time (something about my rash being scary)
In any case, never an issue. Carry both big buckets and little ones, you know, so when you have to bail 2' of water out of the damn thing you use the big bucket, and when you're down to the dregs you use the little bucket.

Other than that, beer as ballast and clothes are optional most days.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dunno about the grand...but I've run a little bilge in my 12 ft bucket boat easily enough on a very small 12v battery meant for my fish finder. But it's not pushing a ton of water and only used once the floor has leaked enough to warrant it.

Guess this puts you out for the sept camp trip on the New River? I don't blame you one bit...it looks like we may have some schedule changes and might be able to make one work for a different time anyways...
Just let me know.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The GC has been rowed hundreds (or thousands) of times by one person in a bucket boat.

By why? When you have a 12' play cat?
Thousands! Tens of thousands! But you'll be watching the bailers, the bailer teams, and the cats. And the next time, you'll have a bailer boat or a bailing buddy!

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
The Grand is pool drop, plenty of time to bail after the rapids, and remember the old adage, "You can't flip a swamped boat", so there's some degree of additional safety there LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts