Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How big a step up is the Royal Gorge from Browns? How do the two compare, would a 16 footer fit well in the Gorge?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
It's a HUGE step if your talking rim to river.......like about a 1000 foot step. :)

16' will fit in both canyons.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have taken my 15' raft down as low as 400 on the Gorge, so a 16' at these levels will be no problem. I have more experience in a kayak on the two sections, but there is definitely a big step from Brown's to the Gorge. I did the Gorge yesterday at 1400, and Brown's last year at 2800, and felt way more comfortable on Brown's. The Gorge has less eddies and is more continuous, except for the flats at the begin and end. If you do raft the Gorge, make sure you go with someone who knows the preferred lines.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is an experience level between the two. Browns has safe pools at the end of each rapid. The Gorge is narrow with few spots to stop.
Run with other private boaters or with a commercial trip (although hard to keep up with).

·
Registered
293 Posts
I feel like in a kayak or raft (smaller the better below 700) I'm better off in the gorge...way fewer squirrely eddies, I know the lines better, and more fun...just watch out for rebar river left in the narrows. That being said Brown's is definitely the easier run far more safety eddies especially at high water where sunshine through sledge becomes a pretty much continuous rapid with 1 good eddy above sledge for recovery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts