Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any info on running Browns in an oar frame in late August? Normally I wouldn't worry but I will be bringing my new bride, mother, mother in law and sister. Just a touch nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pl so you think the 27 or 28 is too late?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"They say if you want to know what a woman is going to look like when she gets older look at her mother. Well, I'm looking and I'm liking"

Gaylord Focker

·
Registered
220 Posts
I say go ahead and row the canyon. Pinball at 250 cfs isnt fun at all but this will prove your worthy in the new family's eyes when you hercules the boat off 4 wd rock and into the current. #5 in the staircase would be a bit to row with all those folks. Raft Ripper at 250, You might as well make them walk that rapid as you row it your self down. Teach them the lowside move, it is way more important at 250 cfs. It can always be done, it actually adds to the fun. Bring lots of beer!

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the flow is too low, you could borrow some duckies from somewhere. "Low-Water In-law Duckie Trip" sounds like a great title of a trip report.

·
Registered
992 Posts
The agreement that keeps water in the Ark through Aug 15 is dependent on whether they actually have the water stocked. In drought years there are no guarantees. Even if the water is there they really do shut it down on Aug 15. Not knowing your experience level or the aptitude of your crew, I think the last week of August is too late to be planning something in stone for an ELF Browns with a bunch of in laws, or perhaps plan on running it before it gets shut off on the 15th. Shoshone is really the only reliable late summer day run.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I've done it at 400 with a frame on my 14' cat. Hung up once- scraped my oars a few times passing rocks. When I do it again at that level I will be a lot more aggressive in getting sideways to the current prior to a critical move. Oftentimes the move was evident, but there were rocks where I needed my blades to be in order to make the pull. "Can't row....can't row....shit!" If I'd been sideways to begin with I could have pulled.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
220 Posts
Osseus
It does get bony at 400 cfs but very doable as you described. Do you remember where or what Rapids you had minor problems with?

Woke up this morning at 10:13.

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,107 Posts
Anyone have any info on running Browns in an oar frame in late August? Normally I wouldn't worry but I will be bringing my new bride, mother, mother in law and sister. Just a touch nervous.

New bride .............. mother ............... mother in law ................... sister ........... late August ................ Arkansas .................. rowing.

Schutzie marks his calendar and orders popcorn ..........

Seriously, it was me I'd go upper Colorado. Arkansas that late isn't going to offer much in terms of scenery or water.

Upper Colorado in August will likely be low but still fun. And the crowd there will take one look at you and 4 (presumably) hotties, and you will be the envy of the beasties that weekend.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I think it was Pinball- we got hung on top of a strainer on river left. Couldn't pull to the chute to the right of a big rock, so we went inside of it and were left high and dry.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The Upper C is a lot of fun. There may not be a lot of water that time of the year but August is a rainy season and I can remember a few years where we had good flows (400-500 cfs) for all of August. I think the scenery in Browns is really amazing. The trees are starting to turn just a bit. The lights that reflect off the canyon and river are something to see. I'm sure you will see all sorts of wildlife too. Whatever you pick to run, just being on the river is what counts.

Osseus
I know exactly what you mean in Pinball. That's a technical rapid and I've seen quite a few boats left high and dry there.

Victor
Woke up this morning at 10:13.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Why so many folks so down on late season Browns? Like Desert said, it really is gorgeous in there and the low water just makes it more technically challenging. It is nowhere near "done."

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We are running it late because we are getting married August 28th and rafting is a big part of our summer lives.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We run the upper colorado all of the time. It's awesome and we're going to have our wedding at Rancho but we were nervous it would have been a disaster

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Did my bachelor party floating Glenwood canyon- 28 people in 6 boats. We had everyone come- wives, mother in law.....it worked out great!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts