Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering where I could find good details about Brown's Canyon. I have access to "Rivers and Creeks" but was wondering if there are any websites that describe each rapid including scouts?

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
156 Posts
You should get the book Arkansas River Guide by Thomas G. Rampton. It has mile-by-mile descriptions from Granite to Canon City.

I've never scouted every rapid on Brown's, as most are read and run. Some are also pretty close together so it's hard to get out and get back in. If you wait until 10am to put on, you can just follow the hoards of commercial boats. Oh yeah, and smile at Zoom flume - they're taking your picture :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
probably at this level the only two scouts would be Zoom Flume and Siedel's Suckhole if you go past Hecla

you can look for the photographer's kayak on the side of the river and tent on river left at Zoom Flume and Siedel's is the first significant horizon line after the Hecla take-out where you usually see lots of buses and trucks

I don't typically suggest counting on other boaters on the water, but if it's just to figure out where you are, there's plenty of traffic in Brown's that can help you figure out what rapids are coming up

·
Registered
668 Posts
Here's some maps:

Arkansas River Granite Cañon City Colorado River Map

Also some maps on this site:

Colorado State Parks

I second the book "Arkansas River Guide by Thomas G. Rampton". I bought it and it has a good description of the entire river, including detailed maps.

I am looking to head down there Friday possibly, and haven't run it in years. I'd love to have someone to "read and run" with (or scout if we can)...

·
Super Moderator
2,871 Posts
probably at this level the only two scouts would be Zoom Flume and Siedel's Suckhole if you go past Hecla

you can look for the photographer's kayak on the side of the river and tent on river left at Zoom Flume and Siedel's is the first significant horizon line after the Hecla take-out where you usually see lots of buses and trucks

I don't typically suggest counting on other boaters on the water, but if it's just to figure out where you are, there's plenty of traffic in Brown's that can help you figure out what rapids are coming up
So solo boating it at 4K I should have scouted some stuff???

Damnit. Everyone told me it was read and run. Now I have to go back and do it again.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Carvedog, I am sorry to say that yes you did it wrong, without scouting I am sure missed the dead bloated cow along the tracks, a snake or two, stubbing your toe on a sharp loose rock and possibly stepping on a prickly pear cactus.

Or wait maybe I am the one doing it wrong it sounds much safer on the water.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Check out the American Whitewater description. That's a good online resource, especially for popular runs. Scouting and portaging in there is easy. I'd say go in there and if you see a horizon line where you don't know the line get out and take a look. It will be more of an adventure that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts