Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
River Mark
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about running Brown's Canyon on the Ark this sunday but not sure of my ability at water that high. I have lots of experience and have good gear, but I have not rowed it above 2K and do not want to swim as a senior citizen. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I rowed it this weekend, and there were quite a few other people on oars as well. It certainly is faster and a bit more push at this flow, but most of the features are read-and-hit-them-straight. Zoom Flume is down the middle with nothing left of the hole at the bottom. Just watch the lateral at top right. Pinball is still the most technical. It was a good time, and I didn't find it all that much more difficult than it usually is. A swim could go for aways though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Safe line is RR at canyon doors and again pretty far right to avoid the hole at big drop...it wants to suck you left for sure! Saw an oar boat go topsy turvy there Saturday.
The hydraulics through pinball still are technical but I keep right and it's fine tuning from there. Lots of big waves especially the bottom of zoom after you clear pinnacle (although zoom at this flow is surprisingly forgiving) surprised by a giant swell at the 7th stair...paddle hard, tee up for the meat and prepare to swim just in case :) it's a quick run at this level too...only an hour twenty from fish to hecla but what a fun ride!!
Let us know how it goes for ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
If you are concerned about your ability to safely swim a long distance, I suggest waiting until the water comes down. Shit happens and swims go a long ways during high water.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't know how big and heavy your boat is but I am sure if you read the river capably you can skirt anything you don't want the marrow of...
My wife and I ran our 11'4" tub yesterday and loved it.
We ran it 5/20 at 1000 cfs for our virgin Brown's trip and I thought that level was much morework at the oars.
Know you can do it and just do it right.
If that's not your plan, and the swim worries you- stay home cause it is for real.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ran it last weekend in oar boat. Went fine - no flips, but I nearly lost it in Raft Ripper. I agree with earlier comment that if you are super concerned about a swim, I'd wait for it to come down a bit. I posted some video on Youtube if you want a good sense for 3700 (although keep in mind a Go-Pro makes rapids feel a bit smaller than they are on river). I did screw up in video on which one is Pinball - what I say is Pinball is really Squeeze Play. Surprised at comments on Pinball - I thought it was largely washed out and barely remember it.

Browns Canyon - High water 2014 - YouTube

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ran it last Saturday as well. Ran from Ruby to Stone Bridge at 3600. Not very many commercial boats but there were a ton of privates hanging out at the put in at Ruby. (Come on folks, lets get in, shuttle, and get going....). All the rapids are full of water and as others have said its a read and run using the standard Browns Canyon Left to Right paths. The only note of caution is that at 3600, I just barely got under the Stone Bridge. Had to remove rowers seat and and squat way down on floor and my shoulders still rubbed the bridge. I have a 16 foot cat so it probably sits a bit higher than a boat.

Its a great year to be on the Ark....lotsa water.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I ran it last Saturday as well. Ran from Ruby to Stone Bridge at 3600. Not very many commercial boats but there were a ton of privates hanging out at the put in at Ruby. (Come on folks, lets get in, shuttle, and get going....). All the rapids are full of water and as others have said its a read and run using the standard Browns Canyon Left to Right paths. The only note of caution is that at 3600, I just barely got under the Stone Bridge. Had to remove rowers seat and and squat way down on floor and my shoulders still rubbed the bridge. I have a 16 foot cat so it probably sits a bit higher than a boat.

Its a great year to be on the Ark....lotsa water.
We put in at WA to make run longer and both Fish bridge and Stone bridge were very low clearance. My high back tractor seat missed the bottom of Stone Bridge by probably less than a foot. I'd pull off before trying to go under stone bridge if you are not sure.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
It's whitewater. There are no guarantees and when things go wrong it happens quick. Not being OK for a swim in a raft no a highwater run just doesn't add up to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts