Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slight fracture to the check bone below my eye. Any of you boated with the same? I think the swelling has gone down enough to mitigate any risk of infection, and the open wounds should be sealed up by the weekend.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ask a hockey forum. :wink:

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
I had a displaced orbital fracture. They went in 3 weeks later and put in 2 titanium plates. Doc was really worried that I would go surfing to soon after the surgery. It's still pins and needles to this day.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mines not displaced, so surgery is not a concern. I just had so much bleeding from the eye socket that I wondered about getting back in the water. As the doctor is the friend of my spouse, I'm asking the forum and not him. I'll probably hold off another week under the idea of better safe than sorry with the eye. What was your doctors specific concern? Impact or infection?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I crushed my eye socket, broke my nose and fractured my scull. I had mega swelling that I had to wait 2 week for surgery. After a titanium plate, a basket to hold the eye, multiple screws and stitches, I was good to go a six weeks later. Doc told me to not get in the river for at least six weeks because infection is easy to get through the eye socket, which would be a nasty infection to have to deal with. I got lucky and you can hardly see the scars. If I were you, don't take chances of infection and give it awhile.

·
899 Posts
Same as above. Dr. did not want me in the water for fear of infection. I would give it 6 to 8 weeks to heal and get better. It's better to be patient now than risk not boating for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Hmm, I had a friend w/ a similar injury, who did end up needing surgery, and he ran Gore like that and came out ok, but I don't know that it was such a good idea. He also had no open wounds.

That comment is probably totally unhelpful, but really I wanted to ask if this happened boating and if you had a full face helmet when it happened / if you you think there was some form of face protection that might have prevented it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
On one hand you have a fun day on the river..... A few hours. And maybe you could get an infection that could lead to blindness in that eye..... For the rest of your life.

On the other hand you could let the high water go by this year and enjoy a long Fall season of above average flows after the chance of loosing an eye has greatly diminished... And you won't be wearing a pirate's eye patch during next years high water.

I know which choice I would make.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hi,

The old geezer on the board (who perpetually feels aches and pains resulting from past decades of ignoring doctors and letting testosterone make decisions for him) advises you to do exactly what your doctor tells you.

A couple of extra weeks off the water is no trade at all against the possibility of permanent damage of some unknown type.

But then I never was much for taking other people's advice, so why should anyone take mine.....

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like time off is in order.

Thanks all for the feedback.

I was cutting wood in my yard for a camp fire and using a short axe to break the pieces into piece that would fit in my fire pan. Half of the log I was breaking in two shot up and nailed my face. Very much a fluke.

I do always wear a face mask, but am currently upgrading to the Lucas Turner helmet with the face mask attachment. The face mask is not as beefy as my old one, but I think it will do the trick for boating, and I think their helmet will be retentive in situations where I've had mine come off in the past.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmm, I had a friend w/ a similar injury, who did end up needing surgery, and he ran Gore like that and came out ok, but I don't know that it was such a good idea. He also had no open wounds.

That comment is probably totally unhelpful, but really I wanted to ask if this happened boating and if you had a full face helmet when it happened / if you you think there was some form of face protection that might have prevented it.
Yes, my injury occured boating on Gore. I had a stupid greatful dead helmet that slid back easily and exposed my forhead. I now have a WRSI that will not slid back and have the option for a facemask. A facemask would have prevented the injury. Just a helmet that didn't slid back and a hard visior to protect the nose probably would have prevented it too.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Learn how to play the banjo. That's what I did when I was out last season. It was actually kind of nice to take a summer off and hang out for the first time in 10 years. It is amazing how much time you have on your hands when you aren't focused on paddling.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Sounds like time off is in order.

Thanks all for the feedback.

I was cutting wood in my yard for a camp fire and using a short axe to break the pieces into piece that would fit in my fire pan. Half of the log I was breaking in two shot up and nailed my face. Very much a fluke.

I do always wear a face mask, but am currently upgrading to the Lucas Turner helmet with the face mask attachment. The face mask is not as beefy as my old one, but I think it will do the trick for boating, and I think their helmet will be retentive in situations where I've had mine come off in the past.
Were you wearing your helmet while cutting wood? Was it full face? :) Sorry about the injury & good luck healing up.

On a side note - I'm a little mixed on my WRSI experience. They've done a great job of putting out a safe cheap helmet and you see them all over the river now and I think it's awesome what they've accomplished. What I don't like though, is the strap system that keeps the helmet from sliding back also is extremely uncomfortable on the back of my head/neck and chafes the sh-t of me. I think you can achieve the fit without that nasty plastic piece digging into my skin. The back strap also has a tendency to slip out of it's grooves and I frequently find myself reseting it at the put-in.

The face guard attachment is a little on the small side, has no padding, and is pretty flimsy, which may or not be good for absorbing impact (I could see some flex as being good...). It's also really hard to get the damn thing on your head and it frequently pops the face guard off in the process. The design would also seem to prevent the installation a metal vertical bar. I've got my eye on the even lower priced Shred Ready. They seem to have basically taken the WRSI concept and ran with it, but it looks like a better product at the moment - from what I can tell.

·
Registered
610 Posts
On a side note - I'm a little mixed on my WRSI experience. They've done a great job of putting out a safe cheap helmet and you see them all over the river now and I think it's awesome what they've accomplished. What I don't like though, is the strap system that keeps the helmet from sliding back also is extremely uncomfortable on the back of my head/neck and chafes the sh-t of me. I think you can achieve the fit without that nasty plastic piece digging into my skin. The back strap also has a tendency to slip out of it's grooves and I frequently find myself reseting it at the put-in.

The face guard attachment is a little on the small side, has no padding, and is pretty flimsy, which may or not be good for absorbing impact (I could see some flex as being good...). It's also really hard to get the damn thing on your head and it frequently pops the face guard off in the process. The design would also seem to prevent the installation a metal vertical bar. I've got my eye on the even lower priced Shred Ready. They seem to have basically taken the WRSI concept and ran with it, but it looks like a better product at the moment - from what I can tell.
I've been using a WSRI for a year the face gaurd for about 2 months now and I havn't had any of the problems you have mentioned... Is the face guard damaged? Are you sure it's installed correctly? I don't mean this in jest but is your head large? Mine is on there solid when I put it on, never had it come off putting it on and I never notice it when I'm boating except when I pull it down to spit. I love the system...

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I've been using a WSRI for a year the face gaurd for about 2 months now and I havn't had any of the problems you have mentioned... Is the face guard damaged? Are you sure it's installed correctly? I don't mean this in jest but is your head large? Mine is on there solid when I put it on, never had it come off putting it on and I never notice it when I'm boating except when I pull it down to spit. I love the system...
Interestingly enough, my initial complaint was that the face guard was too high up on my face. At the put-in, someone else had the same setup and was putting it on and the guard popped out from the attachment hook and he said, oh yeah, this happens every time, you just have to put it back in once on your head. I said, hmm, I never have this problem, but I don't like that it rides too high on my face. He said, ah, you need to pull the back strap down further. I checked out my back strap and noticed that it had popped out of it's slot (see one of my initial complaints). I set the back strap lower, put the helmet back on, and sure enough my face guard pops off the right hook when I put it on. But, it did bring the helmet down lower and the face guard was in a better place. So yes, I'm attaching it properly - it's pretty straightforward - and no I don't have an abnormally large head, and yes, I'm not the only one. The upside is, I'm almost certain in a snag, the face guard would detach.

I'm not telling people not to get this helmet. In fact it will probably work perfectly for some people's heads. I think this and the SR finally bring the price on a bomber full face helmet into a reasonable price range and I would highly encourage people to check it out - just might want to try before purchasing. And if you're not overly concerned with supporting the WRSI initiative, it's worthwhile to look at the SR.

·
899 Posts
My "Accident" was a little diffrent. I was 19 and walking out of a bar in TJ, when I got hit in the face with who knows what. Apparently there was a fight going on and I walked out of the bar and into it. Wrong Place, Wrong time. Knocked the F%$ out. Did not even know my name for a few hours and ended up somewhere in SD with people I did not know. Better there than in a TJ jail. 3 weeks later, I had surgery. 1 year after that a rhinoplasty. I also lost 3 teeth. Root canals, post build-ups and crowns. I look about as normal as one can after all that. I still have problems with no feeling in my left cheek and the muscles around my eye as not as developed. Good eye sight, but the eye does not move all the way around like it should.

Canada, I'm glad your's is not as serious. Do take the dr.'s advice. If in doubt, get a second opinion.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I was 19 and walking out of a bar in TJ, when I got hit in the face with who knows what. Apparently there was a fight going on and I walked out of the bar and into it. Wrong Place, Wrong time. Knocked the F%$ out. Did not even know my name for a few hours and ended up somewhere in SD with people I did not know.
Funny shit, same thing happened to me in Dunedin NZ when I was 20. Less severe outcome thankfully. Only had a tooth pushed through my lip.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hey Canada, that's a bummer man. Always the dumbest things that can still reach out and get you. Hope you make a full recovery -- take your time and enjoy something else for a while would be my advice.

Other folks,
It's been a while since a helmet discussion. Just 'cause I want to toss in my $0.02...For creeking, I use a $40 Cascade helmet (plastic shell w/ white styrofoam underneath) with a grill over the face and nice ear coverage. My only complaint is that I can't bite my pogies to help put them on. It fits well, which I think is hugely important -- in the fact the most important thing about any helmet, IMO. Fortunately I've never had to test it. I think the whole package might have cost me $60...cheap enough that I can have another helmet for deep water boating. Snagging is the only thing I've ever been worried about, but it seems like the protection more than compensates for my worry in that regard.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Hard to say if boating is okay without seeing the wound. My two cents is that if the wound is closed up and scabbed over that I would go boating. Maybe put some neosporin on it post boating just to be on the safe side. Keep an eye on it (no pun intended) and get some powerful antibiotics if you see it getting infected.

Another thought is that I seem to have all sorts of scrapes and cuts during boating season. Put a small gash in my hand trying to put a broken paddle in my boat a couple weeks ago. Paddled bailey with an open cut on my hand. Put neosporin on it at home. No infection.

Most of the other hordes of cuts I get during boating season never really seem to get infected either. Of course they aren't generally on the face.

My personal thoughts are that its a great season, the water is incredible, and that paddling with a wound that has a relatively low chance of getting reinjured or infected is a worthy risk for a great time.

But thats just me. I also paddled 1/2 of last season with a bum shoulder because I didn't want to miss the water. It would be different if we had year round boating, but in colorado sitting out a few weeks can mean missing a lot of boating.

You can rest and recover in sept/oct.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I had an issue with a cut on my hand once and my doctor told me that it was highly unlikely that it became infected from the Colorado or Arkansas as they have pretty good water quality and anything that might be an issue was pretty dilute. So, I think if you are on rivers that are pretty clean (think I'd avoid the South Platte if I were you) you'll probably be okay.

COUNT

1 - 20 of 25 Posts