Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
repair of recurrent dislocation.
hello everyone, I'm going for in for a fix, again.... I was looking for some feedback on this procedure. is it worth the pain and 6 months of rehab ???
will I ever row again ? doc said I'm done with all things fun... hell i couldn't even bow hunt this year..
dam it.. lol

anyways if there is a doc in the house that knows alittle about this. it would be much help. thank you. Ben

·
Registered
244 Posts
The modified Bristow (or Latarjet) procedure is a good surgery for recurrent dislocations. It is probably the best surgery when you have deficient bone on the glenoid (socket) to keep the shoulder from popping out the front. If there is enough bone (less than 30% loss) a repeat stabilization (Bankart surgery) can work.

The 6 months of rehab is legit. I would have it done by a shoulder surgeon or at least someone who has done a few of them. I think you should be able to row again, but I personally wouldn't risk kayaking after having it done.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for reply, i have had open bankart surgery before. i have 2 shoulder surgeons.
arm pops out picking up a 44oz beer, or a good pat on the back. i'm 35 and have brokin more bones than i care to think about. dirt bikes & sleding have been good to me.
I'm really bummed out about this cus it seems my arm will never work right again.
the labrum is gone, and my clavicle is broke in 2. he talked about plateing that ??
my shoulder is about 2" lower than other. funny thing is there is no pain other then everyday getting old pains.
the wife is taking away all my toys..... gettin old sucks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Although I can't speak to the Bristow surgery, my Bankart procedure was very successful. After already having 1 (I would say less than successful surgery) I was at the point where my shoulder would pop out when I sneezed, or any number of other minor movements. I was thinking I would be out of doing anything fun again too.

I had the work done by a sports medicine doc that had done a significant amount of work on hockey players (was a minor league's team doc) and he put it back together nice and tight. Recovery took a long time, but the shoulder feels good as new. I where a brace when I'm on the boat, but have never felt that I need one. I also have not kept up with the PT like I should, but the shoulder still feels great.

You'll be able to boat again, it will take a while to feel better, but you'll be able to get out there and enjoy things. Good luck with the cutting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The bristow is really a procedure not done anymore. It has fallen out of favor due to increased risk of arthritis. As Duckins mentioned, the latarjet procedure has largely replaced this. I'd be a little concerned if your doctor is calling it a bristow. A latarjet is normally only necessary with loss of glenoid bone stock. Arthroscopic bankart repair is still normally the first option without bone loss or large hill sachs lesion (impression fracture on the back of the humeral head). I normally allow strengthening at 3 mos after a bankart or latarjet and contact sports at 6. It is totally reasonable to kayak, rock climb, or anything else after either procedure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts