Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple quick questions, headed down to FOCO in the next week or so and was wondering how much more difficult "Bridges" is versus the Filter Plant. I row a 9'6" bucket with a small fishing frame and we hit the F.P. often. I have floated the N.Platte (Miracle Mile), and Grizzly Creek through Glenwood several times. Is Bridges tougher, easier, comparable? How tough is it to portage the bridge rapids? How low is too low? Any advise helps, Thanks Jim.

·
Registered
26 Posts
bridges beta

Bridges run is a full level harder. The rapid from the culvert to the bridge is harder than any of the runs you mentioned. It is difficult to portage. Maybe easier to ghost the rapid or line it on either side along the bridge. The rapid can be floated down to .5 on the rock. It becomes more technical and lots of sleepers to bounce and or carry over. For fishing, lots of brownies in the eddies and slack water. A few stocker rainbows can be caught up higher near the put in. Pine view above the commercial put in is another level harder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I would like to get a few more river miles this season, although it is late. Any advice on nearby classII, that would make for a good practice area?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Upper Colorado from pumphouse to Rancho or state bridge is great but a little crowded on weekends. Upper N Platte from Bennet to treaasure island is great float with water and fish. Miracle mile is floatable and very fishy. If not fishing, Ruby and Horsethief on the Colo. is floatable but permited. North to the Snake in Jackson has several floatable Class II fishing sections.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was fishing the canyon yesterday and on my way down I noticed someone floating/fishing filter plan last night. I think the water was at about 400cfs on the mouth gage. Honestly I wanted to watch them go through some stretches because I too am very interested in how long and how low floating is worth it. I have only floated filter plant down to about 800cfs and I know you can go much lower. I have a 13ft tributary with a very light fishing frame. If I keep the boat very empty I bet floating down to 600 would be easy but 400 like last night? Not sure that is worth it. Anyway, if your boat is only 9.5 you might be able to still float filter plant. The boat I noticed last night looked like around 12ft.

Let me know what you find, I am fairly new to the area and am interested in all the same stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have floated F.P. as low as 580cfs. Even in my dinky raft it takes some "scooting" across the shallow riffles. An you will rub some granite for sure. That's why I was wondering about Bridges, at the current flows its easier to wade the lower canyon.

·
Registered
676 Posts
rock is reading 2.4 today. plenty of water for almost anything up there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts