Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have this old steel breakdown raft frame. The separate pieces have male and female ends, and basically just insert into each other, and that's it. Nothing is actually holding the frame together, so I imagine the frame would come apart in a real hole.

While I'm not trying to take this thing down the Grand, I'd still like to use it on real whitewater, so I'm looking to modify it. My question: what type of breakdown frames have you all seen? How do the pieces attach together? I'm thinking of just drilling holes and using cotter pins.

I haven't seen many breakdown frames in action, so I'm interested in any ideas.

Thanks!
Trevor

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Hi,

I have this old steel breakdown raft frame. The separate pieces have male and female ends, and basically just insert into each other, and that's it. Nothing is actually holding the frame together, so I imagine the frame would come apart in a real hole.

While I'm not trying to take this thing down the Grand, I'd still like to use it on real whitewater, so I'm looking to modify it. My question: what type of breakdown frames have you all seen? How do the pieces attach together? I'm thinking of just drilling holes and using cotter pins.

Thanks!
Trevor
Cotter pins would work perfectly IMHO. Anything that does not require tool is perfect.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A few good stout straps with cam buckles might work, and maybe two more for redundancy. just loop the strap around both sides in a single loop and tighten so the frame members are pulled toward each other.

·
My name isn't Will
228 Posts
I have a steel frame that can come apart if you want to break it down. It's either a Cambridge or a clone. When assembled and strapped to the raft, I have no concerns about it coming apart.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have built 5 or 6 frames, two that are break down. I use wire lock pins. No sharp cotter pin. I put one in each corner. The rest stay in because the corners are locked in. I welded about a 3" pipe inside of the frame with about 2" sticking out that goes inside of the other part.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
x4 for "wire lock" or "PTO" pins.

Cheapest place to get them is in a box from Harbor Freight, otherwise they're ~$2.50/ea.

$9.99 from Harbor Freight for 20 pins. Even if you only use the smaller ones, it makes them $1/ea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used to have a similar frame. It felt like it would come apart, but it was solid. I also recommend using a couple of straps.
I would like to have that frame again. If you want to sell it, send me a note.

·
My name isn't Will
228 Posts
I thought I read one of the advantages of frames like the Cambridge frame is that it can flex. I figure with all the dryboxes and the cooler rigged, it shouldn't be able to come apart. The places where they break down should be long enough that they can't slide apart. Wouldn't pinning them together negate this benefit?

·
My name isn't Will
228 Posts
Not so much the inherent flex of the material, but at the joints. I think what I read was more about welded frames versus pinned, and the flex can break welds. I am not sure if it's a real-world concern, but I don't see any reason to pin my Cambridge (or Cambridge clone, as I think someone home-built it to resemble a Cambridge)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi,

Thanks!
Trevor
I know it sounds low tech, but a few well placed cam straps can be used to hold the pieces together. I have seen setups like this work great. If you wanted to put a little more work into it you could drill holes for cotter pins. Enjoy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts