Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three different IK paddles that won't come apart. I usually throw them in the back of my truck assembled but needed to break them down to fit in my friends trunk and couldn't. Periodically, I have sprayed silicone on the inner sleeve but not routinely. I prefer to offset my blades but haven't been able to since my paddle was put together straight. Does anyone have any tips that I overlook other than' "clean your shit more often"?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
i don't know. maybe applying heat to one side and dry ice to the other might cause enough expansion and contraction to break the bond.

you want to be careful with gauling the surface if you try and twist apart.

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got one apart with the help of some PB Blaster (anti-seize). It had a coating of microfine grit. The other two are Werner fiberglass with a spline connection so twisting is not an option. I will try hot water. There must be a better way than ripping mine, and another person's, arms from the shouder.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I just got a tough one separated using a strap wrench on the shaft to twist and pull. I first got the blade side cold and then put the blade in a vise (gently). One of my boys pulled counter-torque on the blade so not to snap it and one of them tapped on the junction with a rubber mallet. Wish we had it on video!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts