Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the Brazos last weekend. perfect level, should be good for a few more days, maybe a week. Had a solid crew and did the overnight, which I would seriously consider unless you have a guide that knows it well. The portages were brutal and the scenery steller. Cold as heck, rained on us at camp all night but bonfires and good cheer came through. The shuttle is as long as reported and the cliffs as high as they look. If you do it make sure to catch every eddy around any corner, cause some lead into certain doom. Fishing rods are recomended, we caught a ton of trout. Bonus to have a stout probe bro. Thanks to Dunbar for that.
Footage will be on the new mexico DVD "Funnel" end of August. Adios, atom.....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear all went well. This has been a HUGE unchecked box on my hit list. How was the road? What kind of rigs did you have? Do you think a full size truck could do it without any suspension mods? I'd love to hit this next weekend if I can round up a good crew.
Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
84 Posts
We had a 4wd Toytaco and a old land cruser and yep you will need 4wd and about a foot of clearance along with shuttle drivers (ours were awesome since its a couple hour shuttel each way). There were several water crossings, mud bogs, and rocks gardens which you need good clearance & 4wd. A little ATV would actually be the perfect vehicle since the road is a farm "road" not a forest service maintained road. The land at the put in is private and so leaving vehicles is not a option, and you can understand the need to keep things on the down low because of these issues.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tk said that the shuttle was 2 hrs each way, it was a bit longer. we camped near the takeout, left at 6.30 am and arrived at the putin at around 10.30.am. we left cars at the take out and the shuttle drivers took us in 2 4wd rigs to the putin and then headed back to taos(we also paid them for the shuttle) it worked out perfect as you do not want to leave a car at the putin as it is private land. the shuttle drivers were harrassed as they left the putin by some landowners but managed to talk there way out of any issues. I think a week day run would be more under the radar. Cororado creeks and rivers map to the putin is pretty accurate. Once you pass the gate into private land just go straight, no turns at all. TK was right about the road, it is basically a 4 wheeler rut, definately need a 4wd. The take out is also on private land but we had no problem as it is an easment road to the river. First bride you see as you exit the canyon is the take out (about 4 miles from the exit cliffs. To get there you turn up the road to Corkins lodge, just past the brazos river heading north or just before the river heading south and drive about 5 miles till you see a dirt road to the right called fishtale rd, follow it down less than mile to the bride over the brazos, park on the right. you will be directly opposite a horse barn, stables deal. if you miss the road and hit a dirt road you have gone to far. there is no gugae for the brazos but chama river at la puente gives a good indication, it was 950 cfs before we put on, this guage is below where the brazos meets the chama river. should be good down to 600cfs or so, don't take my word for it as it is a guess but the closest one we could come up with. truley epic run, if ya do it take to days, be careful and enjoy the wilderness narl. adios, atom...

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nm/nwis/uv/?site_no=08284100&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for the great betta. I have been trying to get good info on this for years. Just for clarification. Was the Tacoma stock? I've been down that road on a motorcycle early season (still lots of snow) and saw some places with deep ruts before a small stream crossing. I wasn't sure if my stock Tundra (4x4 of course) could do it. btw-good spot on the gauge info. It is nice to have at least something to look at before driving down from Denver.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your stock toyota 4x4 should work fine. I figure the flow in the run was about 350 cfs, great level. seems like it could be run down to 200 cfs or so, would be a bit manky in places but still doeable. should be real hot this weekend and that may melt the last of the snow and keep the flows pretty steady, adios, atom...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the offer but i'm still recovering from the trip, pretty demanding all around. have a blast and let us know how it went. don't miss some key eddies and a fishing rod is highly recommended.
ps, it was freezing all day and the nightfall rain was brutal, so pack warm. we hit it the weekend a big storm blew through, will be alot warmer if the weather stays nice, adios, atom...first big portage was on the left, the rest seemed to be river right. One of the big ones after day one was a portage on the right and then a seal launch to an eddy then porage a little ways river left.

·
Registered
114 Posts
hey atom - it's matt. i boated the embudo with you way back in March early April. Unfortunately, I've only been out one weekend since then (HIGH water run of the Upper Animas). anyhow sounds like your having a great season and I'm looking forward to the NM video.

what's the url for the new mexico version of mountain buzz?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts