Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of us from Missoula are hoping to run beartrap the first weekend in Feb. with the extended chilly weather, we're a but more concerned about ice than normal. Does anyone have any beta, know who to get any from? And if anyone wants to join up, let me know.

Laura

·
Registered
59 Posts
Gallatin and Madison valleys have been under a flood watch due to ice migration and jams forming. There are some very shady corners in there. Good question though. I'm curious? Obviously, lots can change in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
It's been cold I wouldn't doubt some serious ice bridges but I don't know so you guys should find out.. Have fun ill be riding the cold smoke

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Count yourself lucky Mike, I never thought I'd not be able to ski. Bodies change, so I'll go boating!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure yet, probably sat. There mught possibly be a guy from billings too, I'll let you know as it gets closer.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
gallatin tsunami 1 - YouTube

I'm driving the gallatin canyon damn near everyday got a good feeling that ill be boating in wyoming or pnw for my first strokes of the year. Usually you can at least paddle the Gally but its been cold and we did get about foot total of cold smoke over the last week. So ill still be riding. Club life! i still don't know where you getting no snow in weeks bucket boater. I ride the trees as well as biggest skiing in America+ private powder* .. That's two resorts bud that equal the best riding you could possibly do at any resorts. More powder than any of you could even imagine. Ill leave it at that..

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm interested if any of you buzzards make a March or April run. Can't make Feb.
I'll let you know if we do. Mar is strongly possible depending on if we're getting anything over here- esp Lochsa.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We'll be there easily when it gets to 3k, blake will probably go when it is even lower. WG is closed, but if the main gate is open there's the pavillion or knife edge.

I'd sure like to get a run on beatrap before spring comes though. It is so wonderful in the winter, the sun just pours into the n/s canyon.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
We'll be there easily when it gets to 3k, blake will probably go when it is even lower. WG is closed, but if the main gate is open there's the pavillion or knife edge.
We camped in the host's site last Easter weekend. I picked up a lot of nasty wet cigarette butts. :(
...but the river was about 4k and a lot of fun.

I'd sure like to get a run on beatrap before spring comes though. It is so wonderful in the winter, the sun just pours into the n/s canyon.

What is this sun of which you speak? Sounds intriguing!!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Beartrap is reportedly CLEAR! A friend hiked up and around it recently. Still looking at the 2nd, weather depending. I'm taking it a bit easy, not ready to boat in a howling blizzard, rainstorm, or if it is a cold snap. So the reality will be determined next week as schedules firm up and the forecast comes in. PM me if interested and we can converse via email.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Remember this is NEXT weekend (the 2nd), not this weekend.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts