Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend has become rather upset lately with the fact that I kayak, because it makes him nervous because it is dangerous. Is it selfish that I am going to continue to kayak even though it scares him? I can't see myself stopping boating anytime soon. Is there anyway I can get him more comfortable or okay with whitewater kayaking?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Seriously dump him. Sounds controlling and hypocritical. Find somebody who either shares your passions or at least wants you to be happy and do what you love

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Well it's kinda your own damn business if you want to kayak, and it's not like climbing is the safest thing to do with your self either, might be one thing if he simply cares about your well being, but if he's pissed of that you boat, then dump his ass. Live your life and pursue your own passions.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Agreed. My boyfriend taught me to kayak. He gets a little grouchy when I go without him, but only because he wishes he could be on the river too- he would never tell me I couldn't go. We love each other a lot, but our love wouldn't be the same without kayaking. I'm not saying I'd dump him if he didn't want to kayak anymore, but we've grown together through kayaking, and experienced some pretty amazing moments because of it... If your boyfriend can't support your true passion, then he's not probably not all that passionate about you and it probably is time to find another man that you can connect with better. Plenty o' fish in that there river...

Otherwise, if you're hopelessly in love with the guy, maybe try to ease him into it a little... get him a duckie, or a sit-on-top... go on a guided trip together... take a raft out for a spin. Maybe if you approach it like that, he'll be a little more interested and will have the opportunity to see that we're not ALL sending 30' drops ALL the time. It can be tranquil, beautiful, and enlightening, rather than dangerous and terrifying.
Plus, is climbing not dangerous??? I believe it is... Do you give him shit every time he goes climbing, or do you let him follow his passion?

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Wow. Tough one. If he doesn't trust your skill, talent and drive enough to trust you to kayak on your own, not sure he is the right guy. If you are madly in Lo. Ve. Not sure where to go with that. Maybe try soggy's soft approach.

You don't have to prove a thing. You like it. Do what you like. He can lead, follow or get out of the way.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Damn girl, how long you gonna spend with that little sissy? Lemme guess, he wears his cell phone on his belt? Wears cotton all the time? Tell him that you're goin' boatin' with ol' Grif and you're 'bout to surf the wave of love!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed. My boyfriend taught me to kayak. He gets a little grouchy when I go without him, but only because he wishes he could be on the river too- he would never tell me I couldn't go. We love each other a lot, but our love wouldn't be the same without kayaking. I'm not saying I'd dump him if he didn't want to kayak anymore, but we've grown together through kayaking, and experienced some pretty amazing moments because of it... If your boyfriend can't support your true passion, then he's not probably not all that passionate about you and it probably is time to find another man that you can connect with better. Plenty o' fish in that there river...

Otherwise, if you're hopelessly in love with the guy, maybe try to ease him into it a little... get him a duckie, or a sit-on-top... go on a guided trip together... take a raft out for a spin. Maybe if you approach it like that, he'll be a little more interested and will have the opportunity to see that we're not ALL sending 30' drops ALL the time. It can be tranquil, beautiful, and enlightening, rather than dangerous and terrifying.
Plus, is climbing not dangerous??? I believe it is... Do you give him shit every time he goes climbing, or do you let him follow his passion?
Good advice and to answer your question no I don't hold him back from climbing. Maybe some time on the river is what he needs!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn girl, how long you gonna spend with that little sissy? Lemme guess, he wears his cell phone on his belt? Wears cotton all the time? Tell him that you're goin' boatin' with ol' Grif and you're 'bout to surf the wave of love!
hahahahahahahaha thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
358 Posts
My boyfriend has become rather upset lately with the fact that I kayak, because it makes him nervous because it is dangerous. Is it selfish that I am going to continue to kayak even though it scares him? I can't see myself stopping boating anytime soon. Is there anyway I can get him more comfortable or okay with whitewater kayaking?[/QUOT

Unlike your b.f I was honest with my g.f. I told her if she wants to hang out with a bunch of drunk frat boy kayakers be my guest. I'll be at the strip club. Hope that doesn't make you" nervous"

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My boyfriend has become rather upset lately with the fact that I kayak, because it makes him nervous because it is dangerous. Is it selfish that I am going to continue to kayak even though it scares him? I can't see myself stopping boating anytime soon. Is there anyway I can get him more comfortable or okay with whitewater kayaking?[/QUOT

Unlike your b.f I was honest with my g.f. I told her if she wants to hang out with a bunch of drunk frat boy kayakers be my guest. I'll be at the strip club. Hope that doesn't make you" nervous"
Whoa!

·
Registered
643 Posts
BucketBoater might have a point: are you paddling with a bunch of dudes who your bf is just jealous of? The "danger" of boating might just be his excuse for not being able to be direct with you.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts