Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I lost my Gerber River Runner Knife for the second time and I am looking for a new knife. I would prefer it to not be blunt because if I am going to defend myself from the Cougars at the Rio (the kind who enjoy margaritas and young kayaking studs with bitchin mustaches, not deer) then I need a pointy blade. Most important is a blade that is not going to come out of its sheath and the sheath itself come off. Cheap is good too. Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
882 Posts
Love the title. Benchmade River Knife - NWBackpack.com I got one of these as a gift in 2002 and I love it. I did add a zip tie around the clip as I lost it in a rather inglorious swim...was drifting lazily in Broken Nose and hardly moving when I boofed the last hole, get reeled back in, surfed, then run over by a raft which proceeded to crush me against a rock. Somewhere in there, the knife came off, but I found it later that day when they turned the water off. Anyway, I like the blade shape as a compromise between pointed and blunted. The thumb cam keeps the blade from coming loose and it can be tightened more or less too.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I didn't even know the Buzz sold carriages...

Those Gerbers piss me off, lost 3 before I got that bear claw thing. Not pointy though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
the bear claw is the way to go cuz when your hands are really really cold and you can't feel them you can still hold on to it. it has the hole for the index finger

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I lost my Gerber River Runner Knife for the second time and I am looking for a new knife. I would prefer it to not be blunt because if I am going to defend myself from the Cougars at the Rio (the kind who enjoy margaritas and young kayaking studs with bitchin mustaches, not deer) then I need a pointy blade. Most important is a blade that is not going to come out of its sheath and the sheath itself come off. Cheap is good too. Any ideas?
Thanks
These two knives rock.
Spyderco Salt 1 - NWBackpack.com
and COLUMBIA RIVER KNIFE & TOOL M60 Fixed Blade - NWBackpack.com

·
Registered
834 Posts
Most important is a blade that is not going to come out of its sheath and the sheath itself come off.
Tie your sheath to your PFD with parachute cord. secure your knife to the sheath with a thick rubberband through the hole in the handle or duct tape the knife to the sheath just enough that you can pull it out with a hard yank.

I have lost 4 or 5 river knives but not any since I started securing them like this a few years ago.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
knives

Want a free knife?My friend lost his knife jumping off that rock where the commercials cliff jump in Browns Canyon,he came back a few days later with a diving mask and found 2 or 3 knives and a nice watch that worked!

i've got a bearclaw,not much good for anything but ropes and webbing,more often than not you use your knife for camp chores like spreading peanut butter or cutting cheese ,bearclaw sucks for those applications.I wish I still had my shorty.

What you need is the Texas pig sticker I saw once in some knifefreak catalogue.

Belizean river knife =Machete

·
Registered
610 Posts
Want a free knife?My friend lost his knife jumping off that rock where the commercials cliff jump in Browns Canyon,he came back a few days later with a diving mask and found 2 or 3 knives and a nice watch that worked!

i've got a bearclaw,not much good for anything but ropes and webbing,more often than not you use your knife for camp chores like spreading peanut butter or cutting cheese ,bearclaw sucks for those applications.I wish I still had my shorty.

What you need is the Texas pig sticker I saw once in some knifefreak catalogue.

Belizean river knife =Machete
I like my bearclaw because I am NOT tempted to spead peanut butter or cut cheese or anything else that it shouldn't be cutting and it will be SHARP when my life depends on it.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The Gerber River Guide Knife is my personal favorite. The knife is discontinued, but you can still buy it for $21 ($65 orig):

River Guide II by Gerber : Diving and Marine Knives

I have had one of these for the last 7 years, the rubber grip is super positive even with cold hands and the finger hole makes your grip even more bomb proof. Like True I secure the knife in a couple of ways, I use thin braided cord to secure the sheath to my vest. And I use 1/4" shock cord tied into the knife's lanyard hole with a loop on the top that goes over the top of the sheath. That makes it easy to pop the shock cord off and get to the knife quickly. The River Guide Knife is far from sexy looking, but it is super functional.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts